MSI Radeon R9 270 Fan issue?

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, the main reason for changing the cooler is to reduce the noise, but reducing the temps is always nice as well, I'll most likely buy and fit it tomorrow and then let you guys know how I get on.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, So I've just installed a new after market cooler for my PC, whilst testing the CPU using prime the temp reaches 30 degrees max, a drop of about 17 degrees. There is however one issue, the exhaust of the cooler has to go towards the top of my PC due to the way the AMD clamp works with this cooler (The only options for AMD processors is to have the cooler facing with the exhaust up or down). On my current PC case there is no top exhaust vent.

Basically I need recommendations for affordable PC cases (£40-£50) I like the look of the Sharkoon case PCS sells however It's difficult to find that case elsewhere. I'm looking for a mid-tower with good airflow - i.e: top exhaust vent etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could look at CM Storm, Corsair, Coolermaster, nzxt, bitfenix cases.

I'd suggest taking your time with it though, you are going to have to live with your choice for a few years.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
I think I've found a case perfect for my needs, Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01, relatively cheap, and has plenty of holes for cable management.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
oh yeah, that does look good. would look smart with some nice coloured fans. Looks like you could go with two 140's in the front, and three 120's in top/rear exhaust.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
One more question, seeing as you guys are awesome and always help me out.

I just overclocked my MSI Radeon R9 270, I put the core clock up to 1000MHz up from 955 and the Memory Clock up to 1440MHz up from 1400, I left the fan on auto. I ran a few Kombuster stress tests, the first I ran for 20 minutes, the temp reached 60 degrees max, then I ran another stress test at 1920 x 1080 and got a max temp of 58 degrees. Is there anything else I can to do ensure it's safe?

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I gotta be honest, I saw no improvement in AC IV, still runs at around 45-60 fps, I've reset it to it's original settings.