My 17.3" Vortex IV has arrived, Initial thoughts. ...

DarthBane

Bronze Level Poster
My spec is below :-

Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Change to: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Change to: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable 1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2013 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£9) *SPECIAL*
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Keyboard Language INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Change to: 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Intel Anti-Theft Technology FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Production Dates
Processed Date 14-06-2013
Pre-Production Date 18-06-2013
Build Date 25-06-2013
Test Date 28-06-2013
Awaiting Dispatch Date 01-07-2013
Dispatch Date 02-07-2013
Who Worked on This Order?
Built By Ben Wilson
Tested By Ben Alderson
QC'd By Ben Alderson
Packed By Adam Kirby

Task: Order amendment 568669 - the order needs to be amended to:

Category Change From Change To
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)

20130703_164315.jpg20130703_164412.jpg20130703_164450.jpg20130703_164549.jpg20130703_164708.jpg

1st things 1st - I will NEVER not fast track an order again, the wait for this to arrive was a nightmare, but definatley worth the wait.

PCS were fantastic to deal with, smooth process, web site was easy to navigate and a simple configuration let let me tinker with various builds till i landed on a set-up i liked.
I asked a few questions via message to the team and they responded quickly & professionally.

As i said the wait was killer, however on reflection it was complete (with minor amendments) in 12 working days, which beats my last experience with, a certain vendor known for tagging aliens onto their products of 5 weeks for a standard build.

The laptop itself is excellent, solid construction feels substantial. From the pics others had posted of it i was expecting it to be bulkier than it actually was, dont get me wrong, its a gaming laptop so it's still got a bit of heft too it but given whats packed into that space its still quite impressive.

The keyboard is nice, solid, easy to type on, I as others have suggested found getting used to the reduced size of the enter key takes a bit of getting used too but once you have used it for a couple of hours you get used too it. The back lighting is good, allows a range of colour schemes and option.

The screen is fantastic, clean, bright, colour representation is good and no dead pixels so far. The GPU GTX 780m is no slouch, handled all the games i have thrown at it with ease, batman, bf3, warframe, firefall, hawken etc etc im very impressed.

Anyway ive had it a few days now and these are my initial thoughts, I`ll update this with more pics and a bit more detail once i have ran the laptop for a few weeks.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great review, +Rep :)

We have added your review to the configurator section on our website.

Tenjah

How's it been going since?

Apart from the glossy screen - I went for matte, and a few software differences (no norton, no office trial, and Windows 7 for me) our specs are exactly the same. Also built by Ben Wilson.

I'm looking forward to receiving this bad boy, and I'd love to hear how you're finding it?

How are temperature levels, fan noise, etc?

Have a good one,
Ten :)

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
My fan noises are generally very good, only go on max when they really need too.
Full load i had my CPU top out at about 75 degrees, which i thought was very reasonable in this heat.