My (Awesome?) Cosmos II Spec!

jonl

Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 HMC (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
COSMOS 17" SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD (NON-BACKLIT)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Questions:
1) Is there a Dead Pixel Guarantee included in the Silver Warranty plan?
2) Have a chosen good components which will give me enough speed and reliability for; 3D Animation, HD video editing and rendering and Photo Editing? Examples of software: Maya, Cinema 4D, Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, InDesign
3) Have I chosen components which are compatible with each other, i.e. CPU, SSD, and GFX?
4) Is this graphics card going to suck the life out of the battery if i'm not running from the power lead?
5) Is the battery removable?

TIA

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Questions:
1) Is there a Dead Pixel Guarantee included in the Silver Warranty plan?
Nope.
In the configurator (just a couple of options below the 'Warranty' selection), there is a 'Dead Pixel Guarantee' selection, where you can chose either 30 days or a years worth of Dead Pixel guarantee.

jonl

Nope.
In the configurator (just a couple of options below the 'Warranty' selection), there is a 'Dead Pixel Guarantee' selection, where you can chose either 30 days or a years worth of Dead Pixel guarantee.

Thanks for your response, but I saw that. My question isn't whether a dead pixel guarantee exists, rather, "is it not already in the Silver Warranty" plan? Cause I cannot see the full terms and conditions of the silver plan anywhere and i'm slightly surprised that it is a separate warranty.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks for your response, but I saw that. My question isn't whether a dead pixel guarantee exists, rather, "is it not already in the Silver Warranty" plan?
And that's what my 'Nope' answer was for :). The normal warranty (standard, silver, gold, or platinum) does not include a Dead Pixel Guarantee, the Dead Pixel guarantee is completely separate.

Maybe I should've added some more spacing to show my comment about the Dead Pixel guarantee was a separate informational comment :)

jonl

And that's what my 'Nope' answer was for :). The normal warranty (standard, silver, gold, or platinum) does not include a Dead Pixel Guarantee, the Dead Pixel guarantee is completely separate.

Maybe I should've added some more spacing to show my comment about the Dead Pixel guarantee was a separate informational comment :)

ok thanks!

Any help with the other questions anyone?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
ause I cannot see the full terms and conditions of the silver plan anywhere and i'm slightly surprised that it is a separate warranty.
Seems standard practice since other retailers do the same.
3) Have I chosen components which are compatible with each other, i.e. CPU, SSD, and GFX?
4) Is this graphics card going to suck the life out of the battery if i'm not running from the power lead?
5) Is the battery removable?
3) everything is compatible otherwise you get a warning from the configurator.
4) nvidia optimus is available, you can switch to the integrated gpu
5) I believe it is but I am afraid I am not sure.

jonl

Thanks!

Can anyone advise me whether or not i would need that high spec graphics card for the type of work I do (i'm not a gamer)? Mostly 3D animation, motion graphics and video editing.

Edd1e

Enthusiast
I can onjly really speak for the Adobe software you listed but I would say the GPU you have is the minimum I would expect to work across the apps you listed. The 950m is the latest iteration which is good news with its Achilles heel being gddr3.

jonl

Thank you for highlighting the DDR3. I was holding off from buying because of that fact. Now, when do you think they will release the DDR5 edition?

Edd1e

Enthusiast
As far as I am aware they are released but we are yet to see them along with the 960m's make it into any line ups yet. I imagine there is a lead time on orders and there will be bios and other updates that need to be put in place at the same time. I for one am holding out to see what PCS do in their line up before committing other wise I might save and go for a defiance with a 965m.