My Broadband Speed

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I'm guessing you have a 20Mbps broadband package. That's pretty good, my package with O2 was also 20Mbps and I usually got speeds of around 16-17Mbps. I live in central London too.

Unless you go with Virgin that's the best speed you can get as far as I know. And Virgin are a bit too restrictive towards downloading for my liking. :)

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I've had Virgin since about the beginning of the year now, I download ALOT of films and games and I've never been restricted.

It's not about being restricted per se, although Virgin media do apply some throttling (50%) if you download a lot during peak time ie more than 5GB or 10GB depending on your package. Here's for reference

virgin_media_throttling.jpg.

Of course that's not really a pb considering the speed you normally get.

My comment was in reference to a few articles I've seen over the years, which seem to point out that Virgin, alongside with BT, are usually amongst the first to accept new anti-piracy measures.

In 2008 they agreed with the BPI to send letters to users suspected of file-sharing http://www.zdnet.com/uk-isps-lockstep-on-p2p-1339290843/ while others ISPs refused or were more reluctant.
Same when all UK ISPs were forced to block the PirateBay, they were the first to enforce the measure (which is, incidentally, totally pointless), and then willingly extended their block list.

I recall a few other similar stories, although to be fair there is always an easy way to circumvent a block.

What kind of speeds are you getting (DL/UL) in MB/s? Cuz I've got to get a new broadband package in september and I'm wondering if I shouldn't jump the gun and go for Virgin despite what I've mentioned.

scottke

wish i had download speeds of 18-20 mbs, where i live i only get 3.5mbs if i'm lucky which is amongst the slowest in the uk i believe. downloaded gta EFLC and that took a full 2 days!

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
^ makes sense 7MB = 56 Mb. Yeah defo considering getting it the max I've ever reached is 1.7 MB/s with my 20Mbps package. That's quite a difference.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
its 7mb + cant remember what it is, but judging by my speed tests being ~62mb everytime I'm guessing top end of 7.