My Current Build

KingSnade

Hello Everyone,

I believe I am not utilising my current build regarding my monitor, any suggestion on which monitor i should be using? Or any suggestions altogether.
I use this build for gaming, VR, Streaming, Processing videos and general work applications, mainly using search engines, Microsoft ect.

Current Build
Monitor:
AOC CQ27G2U /BK QAUD HD 27" ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-CQ27G2U-DisplayPort-Free-Sync-2560x1440/dp/B082VTRPKJ )
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core
Mother Board: ASUS ROG STRIKE X570-F GAMING
RAM: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 (2 X 16GB)
Graphics Card: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE TRX 3070
Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA III
1ST M.2 SSD: 500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO
2ND M.2 SSD: 1tb PCS PCle
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES

Thankyou in advance.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In what way is the system not doing enough for you? Honestly it looks like a pretty solid bet for 1440p gaming still. Not at the highest settings, but it'll do a good job in most games. It may lag behind a bit in VR, perhaps.

Honestly the monitor and the system seem well matched to me...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Honestly the monitor and the system seem well matched to me
Yeah that's what I thought, I mean I'm still using a 2070 super in the Berserker, maybe if you're itching to spend some money now, then upgrade the psu, ready for when you do need to upgrade the GPU

KingSnade

That's brilliant to know, i just wasn't sure regarding the monitor. As i am planning on purchasing a 2nd monitor for my system. i suppose i could order the same monitor i already have for a 2nd. What PSu would you recommend? i would like to start getting the odd components ready for upgrades.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I doubt you'll need to upgrade the PSU unless you are going for a top-end graphics card, something very power-hungry like the 4090 or 6950 XT.

I'm not sure about recommending the same monitor. It's fine, but it's not the greatest monitor there is on the planet... I'd think about what you are looking for from the monitor. Is it for gaming? Gaming on two monitors is rarely useful (because the middle of the screen is the join). So if it's going to be a secondary monitor, you could get something cheaper. Equally, there are many better monitors out there, so you could choose one of those for the primary, and use the existing one as the secondary display.

The only reason I can see for getting exactly the same thing again is if you really want the immersion of those two curved monitors side by side. I think that sounds awful, personally, but I can see why others might like it!

KingSnade

I doubt you'll need to upgrade the PSU unless you are going for a top-end graphics card, something very power-hungry like the 4090 or 6950 XT.

I'm not sure about recommending the same monitor. It's fine, but it's not the greatest monitor there is on the planet... I'd think about what you are looking for from the monitor. Is it for gaming? Gaming on two monitors is rarely useful (because the middle of the screen is the join). So if it's going to be a secondary monitor, you could get something cheaper. Equally, there are many better monitors out there, so you could choose one of those for the primary, and use the existing one as the secondary display.

The only reason I can see for getting exactly the same thing again is if you really want the immersion of those two curved monitors side by side. I think that sounds awful, personally, but I can see why others might like it!
I would like to upgrade my graphics card at some point, but i'm in no rush to do so. Which monitor would you recommend? I will be using it for gaming and my old one for discord/ stream ect. i do have a second monitor for discord ect but it is terrible, like a 60hz or something. its okay for what i used it for an upgrade is needed. when playing with my brother i like to have his stream playing while i play.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What do you want from a monitor? 1440p, 4K, ultrawide, HDR, high refresh-rate, OLED, size...? What would you be willing to spend on it?

You could get a nice but incremental upgrade for £300 or so. You could get a significant upgrade for £500. You could get a mind-blowing upgrade for £800-900 or so.

As for the secondary display, you don't need more than 1080p 60Hz for a secondary display. I would personally think the AOC you have wouldn't be ideal as a secondary display because of the curve, but that's your taste...

KingSnade

HRR is important, 4k would be great. im happy to spend £500 on a new monitor for a better gaming experience.
My current 2nd display is a 720p, its terrible. i got it for free and been using it longer than i should have. I'm happy to use my old monitor for a 2nd display, even with it being curved.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
4K is going to be a stretch for £500. There are 4K displays available, such as the Samsung G7, but at 28" in size I'm not sure they're a great proposition. You want something bigger to make the most of the pixels, or you want to go down to a lower resolution. The Gigabyte M32UC (£615) is as cheap as I'd go. For that you will need a significantly stronger graphics card.

You could go for UWQHD (ultrawide 21:9 1440p, essentially). The Gigabyte M34WQ is around £485 and would be a great bet. The very best monitor there is, the Alienware AW3423DWF, is also this resolution, though it does cost £900 at the moment. The downside of this resolution is that it will take up a lot of your desk!

Or you could stick with QHD, the screen resolution and size you currently have. I'd recommend a flat IPS panel, rather than the curved VA one you have now. A good quality one like the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is £350 at the moment. This would be a nice improvement over your AOC, but not a game-changer. I'm not sure I'd consider this a value-for-money upgrade! But I guess as a "whole setup" upgrade it would be nice.

KingSnade

4K is going to be a stretch for £500. There are 4K displays available, such as the Samsung G7, but at 28" in size I'm not sure they're a great proposition. You want something bigger to make the most of the pixels, or you want to go down to a lower resolution. The Gigabyte M32UC (£615) is as cheap as I'd go. For that you will need a significantly stronger graphics card.

You could go for UWQHD (ultrawide 21:9 1440p, essentially). The Gigabyte M34WQ is around £485 and would be a great bet. The very best monitor there is, the Alienware AW3423DWF, is also this resolution, though it does cost £900 at the moment. The downside of this resolution is that it will take up a lot of your desk!

Or you could stick with QHD, the screen resolution and size you currently have. I'd recommend a flat IPS panel, rather than the curved VA one you have now. A good quality one like the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is £350 at the moment. This would be a nice improvement over your AOC, but not a game-changer. I'm not sure I'd consider this a value-for-money upgrade! But I guess as a "whole setup" upgrade it would be nice.
I’m not sure what to do now. 😂
In a nutshell it’s neither keep what I have a buy a similar display to what I have for a second display. (Gigabyte m34wq for main display and what I have now for 2nd or a MAG274qrf)
Or/
upgrade my graphics card (which one), which would result in needing a greater power supply (which one)? So I can have an awesome monitor. (GigabyteM32UC/ Alienware AW3423DWF)

I do want an awesome monitor.

I see what you’re saying regarding cost benefit, the purpose of my build was to gradually upgrade bits here and there, this would be the first time actually upgrading anything since purchasing.
I’ll have to have a think on what I really want, I knew it wouldn’t be as easy as I want a better monitor. Thankyou so much for the assistance, I’m learning a lot!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In a nutshell it’s neither keep what I have a buy a similar display to what I have for a second display.
That makes no sense though, it’s no upgrade, might as well keep your current monitor as the main gaming display and buy a standard 4k 60hz monitor for productivity.

There’s no benefit to the secondary display being high refresh as it would never be above 60hz, it’s only gaming that benefits from high refresh, desktop windows doesn’t use it. You’d never game using 2 monitors as the central picture would be between the bezels, that’s why they have ultrawide and super wide. If you’re gaming on multi monitors it’s minimum of 3.

KingSnade

That makes no sense though, it’s no upgrade, might as well keep your current monitor as the main gaming display and buy a standard 4k 60hz monitor for productivity.

There’s no benefit to the secondary display being high refresh as it would never be above 60hz, it’s only gaming that benefits from high refresh, desktop windows doesn’t use it. You’d never game using 2 monitors as the central picture would be between the bezels, that’s why they have ultrawide and super wide. If you’re gaming on multi monitors it’s minimum of 3.
Oh yeah of course, I think I’m over complicating it. I only need a better productivity monitor as the one I have it terrible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh yeah of course, I think I’m over complicating it. I only need a better productivity monitor as the one I have it terrible.
You can pick up a really decent 4k 60hz monitor for very little money, and that's the equivalent of 4 x 1080p screens in real estate and with windows 11 you can just drag and drop windows to snap to each corner. It's far better for productivity.

Something like this is all you need