My junk email is getting worse

saffamagic

My hotmail is set to exclusive yet I still get loads of junk email, I block them and set up subject rules to block them.

Is there a way to get rid of them as its really annoying.

I also changed my password twice in the last couple weeks.

Is it true when you delete these messages straight away the sender receives this info hence the reason they keep sending it back?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My hotmail is set to exclusive yet I still get loads of junk email, I block them and set up subject rules to block them.

Is there a way to get rid of them as its really annoying.

I also changed my password twice in the last couple weeks.

Is it true when you delete these messages straight away the sender receives this info hence the reason they keep sending it back?

Once the spammers have your email address there is little you can do. Changing your password regularly is an excellent and strongly recommended idea but it won't help with spam. The most likely way your email address gets to spammers is when you use it to sign-up for web pages, services, downloads, and similar. Many organisations make money by selling the email addresses they collect this way to advertisers, often these leak out to spammers too.

I use two email addresses, one I use for signing up for web pages, services, this forum, etc. and I accept that it will get spammed. I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client and it does an excellent job of filtering the spam. You can use Thunderbird with Hotmail. The second email address is given only to family and trusted friends, it never appears anywhere on the web and so far it's never been spammed.

Perhaps you might create a second email address and give that only to family and trusted friends? Never enter it on any web page or use it to sign up for any service, use your existing email address for that. I think you'll find that your new email address will stay largely spam free.

BTW. It is not true that when you delete an email the sender is notified. The sender can request to be notified when you read the email but you should be able to turn that feature off in your mail account (I don't use Hotmail so I can't be sure). However, NEVER attempt to unsubscribe from these types of spam, even if they provide a handy unsubscribe link. All you do when you try to unsubscribe is verify that your email address is active and the spammers will then sell that on to yet more spammers.

ALSO. Make certain that your firewall is active and properly configured and ensure that your anti-virus is active and regularly updated. If you don't do this it's highly likely that your PC will be hijacked by a spam trojan (you'll become a spambot) and your PC will be sending out this type of spam to others - completely without your knowledge or consent of course.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hotmail has been pretty awful in recent years at detecting spam. I was forced to abandon mine almost entirely except for when I have to use Microsoft products. Even Yahoo has been better at detecting spam.

Giwin

If you don't want to change your email you can always set up a forwarding address to gmail and then redirect it back so it uses gmail's anti-spam system which is very strong, like putting water through a two filters.

saffamagic

My Junk email is worse than it was before

My junk mail has been worse than ever before in the last month.

I have been getting the same sexual messages/email for the same amount of time.

You Have 1 New InstaB00tyCall‏
1 New SnapBangMsg
You Have 1 SnapF#ckMsg‏

More or less the same like these, day in day out and Im tired of it now.

Have I got a virus cos I cant get rid of them and I have tried to block these messages with this subject but they still keep coming.

Please can someone fill me in how to deal with these please.

Everon

Enthusiast
Use the spam filter for your email client?

This is the second post you have posted regarding this, you could always use google instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As the others have said, once it gets to this stage its hard to beat. I use Hotmail/outlook and I find it works a treat for 99% of things and I can deal with that other 1%. Though I am careful about what I put my email into I still find myself getting hit with some offers.

I don't know what you do for a living but as my email address is listed in a couple of places as the contact information for a domain names etc I suspect they get it from that. Also a purely business email address that is used for business energy accounts etc is targeted because of online directories listing it as the contact email for my business. Most of it is manageable but if you are already using all the tools you have available then it might be worth at least considering changing email address for at least some of what you do anyway.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
As the others have said, once it gets to this stage its hard to beat. I use Hotmail/outlook and I find it works a treat for 99% of things and I can deal with that other 1%. Though I am careful about what I put my email into I still find myself getting hit with some offers.

I don't know what you do for a living but as my email address is listed in a couple of places as the contact information for a domain names etc I suspect they get it from that. Also a purely business email address that is used for business energy accounts etc is targeted because of online directories listing it as the contact email for my business. Most of it is manageable but if you are already using all the tools you have available then it might be worth at least considering changing email address for at least some of what you do anyway.

Having it listed on a domain is definitely where it all started for me. The amount of spam I received doubled after I got my portfolio domain.

And to OP. As I said before, Hotmail has been terrible recently at detecting spam. Try redirecting it to a gmail account.