My new beast - 15.6" Vortex III

ScarySquirrel

Hi all,

I've had my laptop for a week now so I thought it would be a good time to post my initial thoughts. Here is the spec I went for:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1103 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

I ended up adding 5 day fast track the day after ordering because I got excited and wanted it ASAP. So in total it cost me a whopping £1548!!!

I originally was going to go for the 7970m, but at the time of ordering this had an ETA of 9th March, which was too late for me as I am moving to Canada on 19th March and I was worried about delays which meant I couldn't get it before I left.

I was massively impressed with the build and delivery time. These were my timings:

Processed Date 05-02-2013
Build Date 07-02-2013
Test Date 07-02-2013
Awaiting Dispatch Date 08-02-2013
Dispatch Date 08-02-2013

When it arrived I was like a kid at Christmas and my first thoughts were that the laptop felt sturdy, well made, and it just oozed quality. I was a little worried about the 'feel' of the laptop, but it really is awesome. The slightly textured casing is really nice, the design of the casing is simplistic and beautiful, just what I wanted! The real icing on the cake was when I customised my keyboard LEDs, it's such a minor thing but everytime I look at the bright coloured keyboard against the black of the keys and casing, I just love it!

I'm very happy that I went for the glossy screen. I've not had any issues with reflections at all, and as the laptop is being used a replacement to my desktop the machine will be at home 99% of the time, so outside lighting won't be causing me any issues. In fact, the black bezel around the edge of the screen actually reflects more light than the screen itself. Anyway, I can't compare with what the matte screen would have been like but I'm very happy with this, great colours and looks particularly good when gaming or watching HD video. The only slightly annoying thing is that I noticed a mark on the screen. I did contact PCS about this but I've actually come to realise that it was probably me that caused this. I think the USB end of my mouse hit the screen when I was plugging it in so it's caused a physical mark on the screen. It's very minor though and 99.9% of the time I don't notice it. It's still very annoying though. I might replace the screen at some point but I can't be bothered right now.

The spec: I'm a photographer and I'm getting into video editing. I'm also a gamer so I wanted to make sure I had something which could play the latest games. When it came to speccing this up it was very easy to just keep adding things. I wanted to future proof it so I just thought I'd whack a load of RAM in, get the best GPU I could and a decent CPU as well. The performance is AMAZING! Battlefield 3, Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, anything I've thrown at it has been demolished. It's a beast and I couldn't be happy!

I don't really know what else to say. If you're thinking of getting one, get it, they're awesome machines.

My only gripes:

- Sound isn't great. When I have headphones plugged into the audio out there's lots of feedback which is very annoying. I plan to invest in a USB headphone amp, like a Fiio E17 or something, so this should sort that
- Webcam isn't great, but it does the job if the light is good and to be honest I won't be using it that much

Here's some very quick, very awful pics, which I did in a rush:

LLtOLM1.jpg

PMxAFcn.jpg

qLGBLjb.jpg

PogRBCF.jpg

Stuk71

Thanks for the review; waiting for mine to be dispatched.

Good to hear you like the glossy screen as I had originally ordered matte, after realising that everything I own is glossy and very much like how colours look etc i decided to change it... Then started to regret it as most folk on here seem to be going for the matte.

I am a little concerned about the sound though, I am thinking the same as you that I will just need to purchase a USB sound card. My current laptop is a Dell XPS and the sound on it is fantastic with speakers designed by JBL, building myself up to not be too disappointed with the Vortex by not expecting too much from the speakers.

I assume everything went fine with installing Win7 and all the bundled drivers?

Last edited:

ScarySquirrel

Thanks for the review; waiting for mine to be dispatched.

Good to hear you like the glossy screen as I had originally ordered matte, after realising that everything I own is glossy and very much like how colours look etc i decided to change it... Then started to regret it as most folk on here seem to be going for the matte.

I am a little concerned about the sound though, I am thinking the same as you that I will just need to purchase a USB sound card. My current laptop is a Dell XPS and the sound on it is fantastic with speakers designed by JBL, building myself up to not be too disappointed with the Vortex by not expecting too much from the speakers.

I assume everything went fine with installing Win7 and all the bundled drivers?

If you're used to glossy then I wouldn't worry too much. I have been using a glossy 23" Samsung monitor for a year or so, and I love it, so that was the deciding factor for me.

The main thing that annoys me with the sound issues is that like I said, when I have headphones plugged in I can hear feedback or something, it's ok when playing a game, but if there's a bit of a quieter moment I can hear it. Also, the sound from it just isn't that great. When using the built in speakers it's fine for watching YouTube clips and stuff like that, and if I was desperate I'd listen to music on it, but it's just not great. Check out the Fiio range of products, they seem to get good reviews.

The laptop came with Windows 7 on it, even though I didn't include it in my order (I'm guessing they use it for testing purposes), so I just used my product key to activate it rather than installing everything again. Therefore all of the drivers and everything were already on there, so I can't really comment on how easy it all was.

Stuk71

I read on here that selecting 'headphones' on the THX software makes a difference in headphone sound quality?

+ rep

Jenko

Those picture aren't awful all all! I think they're ace :)

Love the colour you chose for the keyboard backlight

ScarySquirrel

Those picture aren't awful all all! I think they're ace :)

Love the colour you chose for the keyboard backlight

Yeah me too, I set it up to match the background and it works really well. I'll definitely be matching the keyboard colour to whatever background I have selected :)