My new desk and computer set-up

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Well, after quite a wait, due to being mucked around by a couple of companies I tried first, I've at last got myself a new computer desk. This is to replace the old Argos self assembly desk I bought at least 25 years ago. There's nothing wrong with it, but there just isn't enough space in and on it for this new computer and that new wide monitor.
I took a couple of pictures of the desk for you, and one of it more or less in position with the essentials set up and working. There's still work to do on it, other peripherals to plug in and set up, cable management to do, etc. once those are done. So I still haven't peeled the protective plastic off my computer yet :rolleyes: I promise it'll come off tomorrow, once I've got everything set up, scouts honour n evryfink 😊
(well maybe next weekend, depending on available time)

The desk is in 3 parts, the base unit, the actual desktop and a shelving unit on top. I added those two pieces in the computer section to allow plenty of air-flow underneath my case. I don't think they're necessary, but there isn't that much clearance for air-flow provided by the standard Lian Li feet. It was easy enough to do. And now, however much heat I get inside the case, there'll be plenty of room for air-flow :D

New Desk1copy.jpgNew Desk 2copy.jpgNew Desk Set-up1copy.jpg

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
And here's a few shots of the (latest) final set up.

The plastic is off the glass panels of my Lian Li case at last. So @AgentCooper can breathe easily again.
(I shouldn't have to move it again, so there won't be much in the way of dirty finger marks to polish off)
Cable management was fairly easy, most of them are behind the desk so they were routed to stay hidden. The few in view I'm still deciding how best to route. They're there because I need them roughly there, so a bit more experimentation is required before I fix them into their final placement.

The white foam block I forgot to remove from shot in a few, is acting as a door stop. Stopping the door bouncing off my new desk. It'll have to be replaced with something a bit less in yer face. But I don't think there's any hurry, I'll look for inspiration, something is going to go, 'it's me you want for that job', eventually 😜

My adjustable, swivelling arm chair and foot stool came from a local furniture discount warehouse. A fraction of the cost of those chairs and stools @SpyderTracks likes so much. On the other hand the steel frame of my chair collapsed, so I had to get it welded back together. At the same time I had new multi-layer foam put in, cos the old '90s foam had had it. So that's probably increased the cost to only half :D Not bad for an over 20 year old cheap set though 😊

The lovely huge black PCS mousemat is going to have to go. Absolutely anything and everything that goes anywhere near it leaves a mark. It had only been there 10 minutes and took a few more minutes to wipe it clean for photos. Ok it wipes clean easily enough. The problem is I'm lazy, I need a patterned mousemat so the marks ain't so obvious and can be left for a while. On this one they're glaringly obvious and have to be cleaned off immediately, or near enough anyway.

New computer set-up copy.jpgNew desk and computer set-up copy.jpgNew desk and computer set-up2 copy.jpgNew desk and computer set-up4 copy.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And here's a few shots of the (latest) final set up.

The plastic is off the glass panels of my Lian Li case at last. So @AgentCooper can breathe easily again.
(I shouldn't have to move it again, so there won't be much in the way of dirty finger marks to polish off)
Cable management was fairly easy, most of them are behind the desk so they were routed to stay hidden. The few in view I'm still deciding how best to route. They're there because I need them roughly there, so a bit more experimentation is required before I fix them into their final placement.

The white foam block I forgot to remove from shot in a few, is acting as a door stop. Stopping the door bouncing off my new desk. It'll have to be replaced with something a bit less in yer face. But I don't think there's any hurry, I'll look for inspiration, something is going to go, 'it's me you want for that job', eventually 😜

My adjustable, swivelling arm chair and foot stool came from a local furniture discount warehouse. A fraction of the cost of those chairs and stools @SpyderTracks likes so much. On the other hand the steel frame of my chair collapsed, so I had to get it welded back together. At the same time I had new multi-layer foam put in, cos the old '90s foam had had it. So that's probably increased the cost to only half :D Not bad for an over 20 year old cheap set though 😊

The lovely huge black PCS mousemat is going to have to go. Absolutely anything and everything that goes anywhere near it leaves a mark. It had only been there 10 minutes and took a few more minutes to wipe it clean for photos. Ok it wipes clean easily enough. The problem is I'm lazy, I need a patterned mousemat so the marks ain't so obvious and can be left for a while. On this one they're glaringly obvious and have to be cleaned off immediately, or near enough anyway.

View attachment 36848View attachment 36849View attachment 36850View attachment 36851
How are you liking the monitor?

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
How are you liking the monitor?
The monitor is great, the best one I've ever used.
Although, to be fair, those were all 1080p and smaller.

It's a big screen, clear, 1440p seems like a good resolution, but I thought the same of 1080p. If I got a 4K I'd say the same thing I expect :LOL:
Perhaps a curved monitor would have been a better idea, or one of those bendable ones. However, this is the monitor I decided on. It's a huge upgrade over my old one. I've got used to using it. I'm going to be very happy with it for the next 10 years or more :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The monitor is great, the best one I've ever used.
Although, to be fair, those were all 1080p and smaller.

It's a big screen, clear, 1440p seems like a good resolution, but I thought the same of 1080p. If I got a 4K I'd say the same thing I expect :LOL:
Perhaps a curved monitor would have been a better idea, or one of those bendable ones. However, this is the monitor I decided on. It's a huge upgrade over my old one. I've got used to using it. I'm going to be very happy with it for the next 10 years or more :)
Once you've gone Ultrawide there's no turning back, it really is such a huge difference, just that extra width in games really makes you fall into the scenery, I absolutely love it.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Once you've gone Ultrawide there's no turning back, it really is such a huge difference, just that extra width in games really makes you fall into the scenery, I absolutely love it.
Absolutely.
I think it was probably the resolution, and also the upgraded GPU. But the detail that was missing in games on my small 1080 monitor, in comparison to this one, was amazing.
Using it for ordinary work type stuff, although it isn't quite wide enough for 2 full screens, it's close enough. Copy and pasteing between documents, or moving files from one folder to another is so easy when there's this much real estate. You can see exactly what you're doing.