My new laptop quote. Any comments are greatly appreciated :)

athkon

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3820QM (2.70GHz) 8MB

Memory (RAM) 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

2nd Graphics Card NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk NONE

SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor

Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Laptop Cooling Stands NONE

Carry Case NONE

Monitor NONE

Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Speakers NONE

Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Headsets (VOIP) NONE

Surge Protection NONE

Printer NONE

External Hard Drive NONE

Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Home Installation NONE

Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE

Insurance 1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Data Recovery NONE

Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Thanks for your time,

Athi

Adli

Enthusiast
i dropped the CPU down to the 2.60GHz, since going for the 2.70GHz isn't cost-efficient
added the best external sound card (very important for music production/editing)
swapped the SSD for a 750GB HDD, with a 120GB MSATA card, but you might want to keep the larger SSD.

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3720QM (2.60GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

mSATA SSD Cache / Storage Drives
120GB OCZ® NOCTI mSATA MLC SSD - (mini PCIe SSD for extra storage)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ HD-Audiophile-Grade Sound External (£82)

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity 1

£1249.17 ex VAT.
£1484 inc VAT and Delivery.

I'll be using it for gaming and music production.

If gaming is your intention then you need to be sure what you sign of up for with the 7970m card.

I have that one and pretty disappointed with the whole enduro issue in so far that I am now ready to ditch this card for the 680 if there was a way to do it without losing too much money.

If you have the funds then I would go for the nvidia. You could hang on for some time and see what happens now that AMD have at least acknowledged there is an issue that some fix may be forthcoming, but the mere fact that after four months of the card being released there are still no official drivers should say enough ...

athkon

If gaming is your intention then you need to be sure what you sign of up for with the 7970m card.

I have that one and pretty disappointed with the whole enduro issue in so far that I am now ready to ditch this card for the 680 if there was a way to do it without losing too much money.

If you have the funds then I would go for the nvidia. You could hang on for some time and see what happens now that AMD have at least acknowledged there is an issue that some fix may be forthcoming, but the mere fact that after four months of the card being released there are still no official drivers should say enough ...

Thanks for your reply.
While researching, I came across to this http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-GeForce-GTX-680M-vs-Radeon-HD-7970M.77110.0.html
So, the 7970M appeared a better solution.

Which issues concerning Enduro are you referring to?

Thank you,

Athi

cheshirecat765

Bronze Level Poster

I agree, i paid the extra for the 680m and i'm more than happy! Although there is no official drivers for the 680m yet either :/

Ok - don't want to turn this into another 7970 thread but as you asked for a bit of background, the one thread which seems to have the closest to some kind of official ack from amd is here. It probably is indeed not directly related to the 7970m itself but with the enduro part, which unfort in the vortex 3 you cannot switch off.
Maybe fixed one day with a driver update but as said that is the gamble you take, and if I could afford it not one I would want to take spending that amount of cash on a laptop.

Now whilst my gaming experience is not so pleasant with this card, Sony Vegas Pro 11 seems to love it !

Encoding times have gone down and when editing video, scrolling the raw feed is very smooth. So this card definitely has some grunt when it wants to use !
So if you are more into Photo/Video editing, the concerns raised may be irrelevant.

athkon

In other words there's a problem of deactivating enduro in Clevo motherboards or something equivalent(?)

Thank you very much for enlightning me Marks and HurdyGurdy.

Regards,

Athi

In other words there's a problem of deactivating enduro in Clevo motherboards or something equivalent(?)

Athi

Hmm that would be slightly twisting the way it is - Enduro does not work so to work around that certain implementations of switchable gpu solution allow you to bypass Enduro (E.g. AW). Clevo's can't by design.
However that is not the root of the problem. The problem is with the AMD implementation in the first place and only those that can disable the feature can use the card. But in fairness to Clevo, you don't design a solution to bypass something that is promised as a feature by your supplier i.e. AMD.