My new Optimus IV 17" - Difficult to wait patiently!

Zarlax

Chassis & Display: Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk: 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader: Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card: Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

4th working day now and its still in pre-production! Hope it gets to being built soon :>

RichyJ91

Bronze Level Poster
If you're still able to amend your order I would suggest making the SSD your 1st Harddrive and the 750GB one as your second. That way, your OS will be installed on the SSD and you can enjoy boot times of less than 15 seconds like on mine :) Then save everything else to the bigger HDD.

Zarlax

I will install my OS on the SSD when it arrives (it's not coming with an OS - I have Win7 already :>)

Also, I've heard that the 2nd bay doesn't get as much ventilation, and I figured the 750gb would need it more. What do you think? I still have time to change it, as the order is still in pre-production.

Zarlax

Now at the end of working day day 7 - hoping for some building soon now that they've been clearing up the backlog.
My order was processed on the 15th - anyone ordered their optimus around the same time who's heard anything? Wondering whether to get my hopes up or not xD

Working day 9 for my Vortex III order, and it's still in pre-production. Looks like I won't be seeing it any earlier than next week now, which is a shame. Would've liked it for the weekend.

rev

My Optimus IV 17" is in it's 8th working day and is still pre-production. It only went into pre-production in the 6th working day so I expect it'll be another couple of days before I hear more.

Zarlax

Gratz Jonny - pretty jelly!

I contacted PCS via live chat and I was 87th in queue this morning. He said that the team builds about 40-50 in a day so there's a chance mine will be built tomorrow. He also said that they don't work on weekends at all.
Hopefully mine will arrive on monday - I don't think their courier delivers on saturdays

Keithg

Enthusiast
Zarlax, don't forget the testing phase which can take time.
For a Monday delivery you would really need a dispatch today otherwise I would prepare for Wednesday and hope for Tuesday.

Zarlax

I was told by the PCS dude that it is common for Laptops to be dispatched in the same day as production begins. So hopefully, that's what happens :p

Mine was built Thursday and is still in testing :( I'm hoping this means it will be perfect when it arrives next week (hopefully)

Zarlax

Ahhh that's a shame, maybe it was later in the day or something. Hopefully it's dispatched today atleast! (fingers crossed mine is built and dispatched today too! hehe)

I put that all wrong.

It went into building on Wednesday afternoon, Yesterday it went into testing and there it has stayed.

If it takes much longer I'll be invoicing PCS for the hole I walked into my carpet.

Zarlax

Mine entered building on 26th, then testing and now awaiting dispatch today (29th). Should be dispatched today with luck, and arrive tomorrow :)

It's finally awaiting dispatch

Processed Date 12-10-2012
Pre-Production Date 16-10-2012
Build Date 24-10-2012
Test Date 25-10-2012
Awaiting Dispatch Date 29-10-2012

Built By Mark Bradley
Tested By Carl Auckland
QC'd By Ben Alderson

That was a lot oftime in testing, I'm guessing they found a fault and to wait for a part or it fell behind the workbench.

Zarlax

Yeah maybe there was a problem there

Let's hope for a speedy delivery! No classes at uni this week so I plan to take advantage of that ;)

MFor26

Hey Zarlax

Mine was processed on the 15th as well. It is still on preproduction but apparently should not take that long. I also opted for the windows 8 since it saves me 15 extra quid. I think it all depends on the specs. The more you have the more complicating it makes it especially when tested. Hope that helps