My New PC (some minor gripes though)

informalmrtom

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE R4 BLACK PEARL QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max 4.40GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z87: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
4TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD4001FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-650 V2-80 PLUS®
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 150Mbps PCI-E CARD (Special Offer)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 - 6 DAY DELIVERY TO EUROPE (COUNTRY DEPENDANT)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Miscellaneous
FREE BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS GAME with GTX 660 & 7 Series GPUs!
Quantity
------------------------------------------------------

I've had this PC for a week now and my lord it's good, super fast, super quiet and pretty well built

I have some problems though;

the front audio jacks on the R4 are either rubbish or broke

the front fan isn't working (not looked into that yet though) ((don't really need it))

not a single bit of the preinstalled software/drivers worked - had to reinstall everything.

But all in all I'm very happy with this machine :)

steaky360

Bit of a bummer none of the software worked when you received it, but I'd always suggest updating your drivers etc. in any case. Did you have to reinstall Windows?

The front fan may not be plugged in, or may have become loose during transit. I'd check it and then get in touch with PCS, they'll send you another if it is broken.

What's the issue with the front audio jacks? Do they not work, or are they just poor quality? Again, check the jumpers are plugged into the motherboard correctly (you can trace the cables from the back of the audio jacks to your motherboard to make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Also, do the jacks on your PC work ok (ie on the back)

informalmrtom

Bit of a bummer none of the software worked when you received it, but I'd always suggest updating your drivers etc. in any case. Did you have to reinstall Windows?

The front fan may not be plugged in, or may have become loose during transit. I'd check it and then get in touch with PCS, they'll send you another if it is broken.

What's the issue with the front audio jacks? Do they not work, or are they just poor quality? Again, check the jumpers are plugged into the motherboard correctly (you can trace the cables from the back of the audio jacks to your motherboard to make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Also, do the jacks on your PC work ok (ie on the back)

I'll have to see if the fan is plugged in or not the next time I'm at home, although I'm not to bothered if it is or not.

The audio quality is really bad on the front headphone port, muffled and distorted, the rear port works perfectly. Again I'll check connections when I'm home :)

steaky360

If the fan isn't working I would suggest you give PCS a call as they will be able to send you a replacement. It's worth doing even if you don't think you need it. Adequate airflow into your case is very important.

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
I'll have to see if the fan is plugged in or not the next time I'm at home, although I'm not to bothered if it is or not.

The audio quality is really bad on the front headphone port, muffled and distorted, the rear port works perfectly. Again I'll check connections when I'm home :)

Hey Man :)

Glad you are enjoying your build! I have the R4 too. They would have connected the chassis fan to the case controller.

On the front of the case, open up the flap and on the top right you have a switch for 5v, 7v, 12v.

It only worked on 5v for me, which was plenty fast. It was only after I installed my second fan that the other 2 settings worked. I assume this is to protect the fans as 12v might kill the stock one. I personally recommend leaving it attached to the case controller. If it still doesn't work then you can plug it directly to the mobo and then can control it via fan speed software or in the bios.

If you want to be able to tweak the settings in Link2, you need to connect it directly to the H80i