My new rig!

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all! Thought I'd post a pic of my new PC from the guys at PCS. Had it for a couple of days now and I'm over the moon! It is a truly awesome piece of kit!

The set up is as follows:

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, NVIDIA® SLI™, ATI® CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz, X.M.P (4 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ HD6990 - 1 DVI,4 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 5 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
450GB VELOCIRAPTOR WD4500HLHX, SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
1200W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (Special Offer) (£149)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£99)

The CPU is idle around 38 with the fans at 100% RPM
The GPU is idle around 42 with fans at 30%

So far I'm going to add another 2 x 120mm fans to the ALC 240 cooler as it is set up in a pull configuration, I think push/pull will drop it by another 8 degrees easy. The RAM is quite hot and that is what's causing so much heat for the CPU, so I'm installing a fan for that as well.

I was tempted to overclock this rig before I got it, but now that I've tested it out with WoW, Deadspace 2 and COD:MW2 I don't think that will be needed at all... The 2600K and HD 6990 together are more than enough for any game. I will be testing it out on Photoshop CS5 and Maya a little later on as well.

I've also added a 600GB VELOCIRAPTOR HDD and installed Windows 7 to that and using the 450GB as additional and quick storage, or my dual boot with Fedora when they can get the ATI drivers nailed.

Please note that the pic included is looking a little scrappy inside, it was not received like this, I've moved things around to make room for additional components that will be added to the system. The Guy's at PCS did a very good job at cable management till I screwed with it!

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
I wanted to add a little bit more, seeing as someone was putting some stuff about Cons in his post...

I phoned once, and got an answer in under 10 seconds... I arranged to pickup and the drive was easy and scenic. Arrived at the PCS warehouse and was met by a friendly dude who took me straight to machine, let me have a look and then helped me get it into the car... I paid a bit extra so that it was built in 3 working days (I'm impatient) as well.

Having built a few PC's before (but this time as I'm now having to work full-time, hence why not doing it again), I can honestly say in my opinion that the build is good and the price is reasonable...

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the set-up for the ALC 240 cooler, but it's nothing I can't tweak and test myself...

liamnic2

Super Star
What do you mean by the c240 in pull config ?
Im getting that cooler soon and I dont know anything about itn lol

samx300

Enthusiast
+REP for the pics man!

Nice rig there :) I have the same cooler and the same T1 RAM. Question for you: Did your RAM come preconfigured at 2133Mhz by PCS? Because mine didn't..and now when I bumped it up, its giving errors in Prime95 at the standard 4.6Ghz OC on my 2600K :( Do test your rig in P95!
Plus I really encourage the Hyper-X RAM cooling fan. I installed it on my DIMMs and the max temp (according to the probe from Sentry 2 fixed on the RAMs heat spreader) reached around 33-34 degs. Idle temps are in the range of 19-23 deg :)

Cheers

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all!

@liamnic2... The ALC 240 Cooler has a radiator which the liquid is pumped through, and then air is either pulled or pushed over the radiator and it cools the liquid, thus, taking heat away from the CPU. When you get your rig from PCS, it will have been tested to it's full and will run fine... If you don't know what you're doing, then leave it be. What I'm going to do is attach some more fans to my ALC 240 as it only pulls air over the radiator and by adding more fans may cool the liquid more... I will post temp results once modification is done.

@samx300... I'm fairly certain it's at 2133MHz... It seems to indicate it is in the bios... I will look into this Prime95 and let you know for sure! I'm happy at it's clock settings at the moment... so won't be overclocking until it starts not moving quick enough. Plus I've ordered the Hyper-X RAM cooling fan off amazon today, thanks for the tip!!!

samx300

Enthusiast
Hi all!

@liamnic2... The ALC 240 Cooler has a radiator which the liquid is pumped through, and then air is either pulled or pushed over the radiator and it cools the liquid, thus, taking heat away from the CPU. When you get your rig from PCS, it will have been tested to it's full and will run fine... If you don't know what you're doing, then leave it be. What I'm going to do is attach some more fans to my ALC 240 as it only pulls air over the radiator and by adding more fans may cool the liquid more... I will post temp results once modification is done.

@samx300... I'm fairly certain it's at 2133MHz... It seems to indicate it is in the bios... I will look into this Prime95 and let you know for sure! I'm happy at it's clock settings at the moment... so won't be overclocking until it starts not moving quick enough. Plus I've ordered the Hyper-X RAM cooling fan off amazon today, thanks for the tip!!!

Thanks for responding.

Well, seems I was unlucky that my RAM was set at 1600Mhz by default with the 4.6Ghz OC. And now when I bumped it to 2133Mhz, its giving funny rounding errors in P95 :( speaking with PCS support to see if anything can be done. Enjoy your Hyper-X Fan, its worth it! :)