My new system and experience so far

Ozy

Hi everyone,

I completed my first order on the 29/06/10. A lack of funds meant I had to choose the finance option, which to be honest was the main reason I purchased my new system from PS. Anyway the finace procedure took around 1 week. Hoping my system will be ready and with me within 8 days but unfortunately that was not the case. From 06/07/10 - 20/07/10 the status of my order remained in pre-production. I called PS numerous times and at first I was told that the i7 processor was out of stock. Then a few days later I was told the Cosmos 1000 was out of stock. Well after 3 weeks the system has finally reached the quality control stage. It has taken a long time so far but the price and customer service is 10/10. I hope when it finally arrives it was worth the wait. Anyway this is what ive ordered, let me know what you think....

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE (£159)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D PREMIUM: DDR3, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5750 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM (£49)

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)

Network Facilities
WIRELESS N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Total order Price £1,380.00

THANKS

Gorman

Author Level
4796588784_e0d8834dff.jpg

Im sure the wait will be a distant memory before long ;)

Ozy

Thanks guys, im pretty confident it will be more than what I expected. I guess im one of those persons when I like something really bad I want it straight away (-:

Ozy

Hi Steve,

Well im into photography and recently purchased a Canon 5D Mk2. A single image can be upto 20MB, which is quite large. I take a lot of pictures and my current Hard drive is at spillage point. I guess a 2TB hard drive may be enough for a year or 2. I have also read at numeour places that if your into photography or videography then BACKING UP is very very important. I'll be using my 2nd Hard drive for back up only.

Zeplini

Hi Steve,

Well im into photography and recently purchased a Canon 5D Mk2. A single image can be upto 20MB, which is quite large. I take a lot of pictures and my current Hard drive is at spillage point. I guess a 2TB hard drive may be enough for a year or 2. I have also read at numeour places that if your into photography or videography then BACKING UP is very very important. I'll be using my 2nd Hard drive for back up only.

i keep a external hard drive that only gets switched on if needed for all my backup, found this to be also effective for switching around different computers and the laptop

steveuk87

Super Star
i keep a external hard drive that only gets switched on if needed for all my backup, found this to be also effective for switching around different computers and the laptop

Yeah this would be the best option... an external hard drive as it can be disconnected from your main so any trouble (virus/corruption) you dont have to worry as much, you just disconnect :) but i know how much space Photography takes, i have a few freinds who are into that.. :)

Steve

Meds

Hey Ozy,

My old man likes to call himself a professional photographer and to be fair he has sold some of his work :) - you can see some of his work here. But he mentioned that another bonus of backing up to an external HDD is that you can store it away from your PC, in the loft or in a safe etc. So in a worst case scenario of burglary or fire then the external HDD with all your work is safe somewhere else.

Ozy

You guys deffinetly make sense. A true back up should be in the form of an external hard drive. My next job would be to get an external drive because to me my pictures are too percious to lose. Are there any hard drives which you would recommend?

My new system arrived yesterday. It was huge! I am very pleased and hope it serves me well. (-:

steveuk87

Super Star
good Ozy, hope you enjoy it m8. we want pics!!

As for RHDD i can't think of any particularly good brands tbh, ne will do really

Steve

Meds

Hope you enjoy your new PC Ozy!

In regards to the external HDD, we stock the Seagate FreeAgent Desk in 500GB, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB sizes - I've only hear good things about them from customers. I also have friends who have the Western Digital equivalent who also rave about those. As Steve said, stick to the major HDD manufacturers and you should be fine.