My PC won't boot to Windows 10

films&games

Enthusiast
I have been unable to upload the Application and System event logs because the machine crashed with another BSOD.

And have been unable to boot the machine again into Safe Mode with Networking or boot Windows 10 normally.

The machine has booted back into the Recovery Enviroment and I tried the Startup Repair option, which is now attempting repairs.

There is correctly no hard drive light activity. Is this normal during a startup repair? All there is are the spinning dots on screen with the TUF Gaming splash screen and the words: "Attempting repairs".

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have been unable to upload the Application and System event logs because the machine crashed with another BSOD.

And have been unable to boot the machine again into Safe Mode with Networking or boot Windows 10 normally.

The machine has booted back into the Recovery Enviroment and I tried the Startup Repair option, which is now attempting repairs.

There is correctly no hard drive light activity. Is this normal during a startup repair? All there is are the spinning dots on screen with the TUF Gaming splash screen and the words: "Attempting repairs".

Thank you.
As already mentioned, you can't run startup recovery from windows, only from an external USB. So it won't complete if you're running it from the windows repair environment.

films&games

Enthusiast
Okay. Is it okay for me to turn the machine off if there is no hard drive light activity then? Only the power light is active since the machine is running.

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay. Is it okay for me to turn the machine off if there is no hard drive light activity then? Only the power light is active since the machine is running.

Thank you.
Yes, the windows is borked anyway, so it's not going to make matters worse.

It's possible there's an issue with the OS drive, but currently it's impossible to fully work out where the issue is stemming from.

But without doubt, the windows is corrupt in some way, weather by a software corruption, or bad drive readability, we're not sure as yet.

So either way, a clean install is going to be required as a first step.

The yellow / green light you were seeing on the motherboard intermittently does correspond to a boot issue, so it may well be a faulty boot drive.

films&games

Enthusiast
Yes, the windows is borked anyway, so it's not going to make matters worse.

It's possible there's an issue with the OS drive, but currently it's impossible to fully work out where the issue is stemming from.

But without doubt, the windows is corrupt in some way, weather by a software corruption, or bad drive readability, we're not sure as yet.

So either way, a clean install is going to be required as a first step.

The yellow / green light you were seeing on the motherboard intermittently does correspond to a boot issue, so it may well be a faulty boot drive.
Okay. I can do a clean install with a Windows 10 disc, but it is version 21H1.

Would it best for me use this version to do a clean install of Windows 10 and get the latest version using the media creation tool to create a fresh USB and do another clean install?

Thank you.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

Out of curiosity any reason you're still on 10 and not upgraded to 11

films&games

Enthusiast
Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

Out of curiosity any reason you're still on 10 and not upgraded to 11
No, it is just that my machine is 3 years and I was ok with still using Windows 10 for the time being that's all.

films&games

Enthusiast
Never use an old installer, always create a new installer with the latest image from Microsoft
Okay, but I only have a Windows 10 version 21H1 disc to do a clean install. I cannot really use my machine at the moment because of the 2 BSOD error messages.

Making it difficult to use the media creation tool to make a fresh Windows 10 image on USB or on disc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, but I only have a Windows 10 version 21H1 disc to do a clean install. I cannot really use my machine at the moment because of the 2 BSOD error messages.
You’d need another PC then to create an installer usb

You can’t use 21h2 because it’s out of support so isn’t eligible for any updates.

films&games

Enthusiast
Ok, no worries. And believe me, I'm not judging, I'm very much the same

Use the 21H1 then, it's not ideal, but for finding out the root cause, it will do.
I intend to use the 21H1 version, just to do a clean installation of Windows 10. Making it possible for me to get back up a running to be able to make a new USB or ISO of Windows 10 to do another clean install afterwards.

Sorry for all of the questions and confusion.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I intend to use the 21H1 version, just to do a clean installation of Windows 10. Making it possible for me to get back up a running to be able to make a new USB or ISO of Windows 10 to do another clean install afterwards.

Sorry for all of the questions and confusion.
Sorry for the delayed response, had a long call I had to make.

Yeah, that's exactly right, it doesn't really matter if it's out of support, it enables you to then create an up to date installer and either do an in place upgrade from within windows, or a full clean install onto the latest version.

films&games

Enthusiast
Would it be okay for me to run chkdsk in read-only mode or with /f on my M.2 SSD, before I do a clean install using my Windows 10 21H1 disc?

Thank you.