My PC won't boot to Windows 10

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would it be okay for me to run chkdsk in read-only mode or with /f on my M.2 SSD, before I do a clean install using my Windows 10 21H1 disc?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.
You could run chkdsk /f from the windows installer disk, chkdsk /f on the ssd attempts to repair errors, but doesn't touch any sectors (which can damage an SSD). Thanks to @ubuysa, I keep forgetting about the /f one.

But as @Martinr36 says, it may just be easier after a clean install

films&games

Enthusiast
1.SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED [/URL]

2.WHEA_UNCORECCTABLE_ERROR

3.Error 0x800701B1 shown during Windows 10 installation
[/URL]

4.BIOS M.2 SSD missing from Boot priority list.

5.Macrium Reflect 8 drives selection

The photos 1 and 2 show the 2 different BSOD error messages that I had before I tried to do a clean installation of Windows 10.

The 3rd photo is the on-screen error I received when I tried to do a clean installation of Windows 10. I deleted all of the partition(s) for the SSD and selected the unallocated space. Error 0x800701B1 occurred at the "Getting files ready for installation" after about 13%.

The 4th photo is of the BIOS screen showing the Boot priority list is empty.

Both of my M.2 SSD and HDD is shown in the BIOS under Storage Information as shown in the 4th photo.

When I ran chkdsk before attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 by deleting the partition(s) on my SSD there were no errors or bad sections.

Both my M.2 SSD and HDD appear in the Windows 10 install setup screen and Macrium Reflect 8.

In Macrium Reflect 8, photo 5, the SSD, which was/is my Windows 10 boot drive is shown as drive D and my internally installed HDD is shown drive C.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The 0x800701B1 error can be caused by the SSDs read-only attribute becoming set, or there being insufficient space on the drive, so let's make sure the SSD is setup correctly for the install...
  1. Boot the Windows installation media and select 'Repair my computer'
  2. Navigate to the command prompt
  3. Enter the command diskpart (the diskpart> prompt will appear)
  4. Enter the command list disk
  5. Identify the SSD to be used as the system drive (look at the Size column, the SSD is the 1TB drive)
  6. Enter the command select disk n (where n is the number of the SSD from the list disk command output)
    BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE SELECTED THE CORRECT DISK. WHAT FOLLOWS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE SELECTED DRIVE.
  7. Enter the command clean (this will erase all partitions leaving an empty drive)
  8. Enter the command attributes disk clear readonly (this removes the read-only flag if it was set)
  9. Enter the command exit (this ends the diskpart session)
  10. Reboot the Windows installation media and do the install as normal. You will now be installing to an empty drive
If you still can't do the install then the SSD is almost certainly faulty. This may happen too, those WHEA BSODs you had could well be the SSD failing.

films&games

Enthusiast
The 0x800701B1 error can be caused by the SSDs read-only attribute becoming set, or there being insufficient space on the drive, so let's make sure the SSD is setup correctly for the install...
  5. Identify the SSD to be used as the system drive (look at the Size column, the SSD is the 1TB drive)
  6. Enter the command select disk n (where n is the number of the SSD from the list disk command output)
    BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE SELECTED THE CORRECT DISK. WHAT FOLLOWS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE SELECTED DRIVE.
  7. Enter the command clean (this will erase all partitions leaving an empty drive)
  8. Enter the command attributes disk clear readonly (this removes the read-only flag if it was set)
  10. Reboot the Windows installation media and do the install as normal. You will now be installing to an empty drive
If you still can't do the install then the SSD is almost certainly faulty. This may happen too, those WHEA BSODs you had could well be the SSD failing.
@ubuysa I have looked at diskpart to show the disks: my SSD (Windows boot drive) is shown as disk number 1 and my HDD (data drive) is shown as number 0. This was/is the shown the same in the Windows 10 Installation screen, when selecting the drive partition(s).

Diskpart - showing my 2 drives

Disk 1 Size column is 931GB, but the Free column is 0B.

I have not tried the step-by-step instructions yet.

Thank you.

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
Select disk 1 and then move on to clean, etc...

@ubuysa I emailed PCS last Thursday about the problem(s) with my machine and the replied to me last Friday. They asked to me to re-seat the m.2 SSD and to take a photo of the SSD serial number. I haven't done this yet. I tried to do a clean install first.

I have tried this both using my older Windows 21H1 disc and The USB-stick containing a Windows 10 recovery image, which I purchased from PCS when I telephoned them last Friday.

Both times produced the same 0x800701B1 error message during the installation process - 'Getting files ready for Installation'.

It seems like it is the m.2 SSD drive itself. Today I ran Memtest86 on the RAM for a total of 8 passes. Both times there were 0 errors.

films&games

Enthusiast
Yep. Reseat the SSD and if it still fails RMA the SSD.

Hi,

I tried to do the above, following the step-by-step instructions and even re-seated the M.2. Both of which producted the same 0x800701B1 error when trying to install Windows 10 that I previously mentioned.

This is an update.

I have managed to RMA my M.2 Corsair MP600 1TB - CSSD-F1000GBMP600, which was still within the manufacturer's 5-year warranty with the nearest equivalent product because they didn't have any stock of the exact model that I had originally purchased as part of my machine.

This was eventually done via an RMA as a Standard Replacement, meaning I had to send my existing M.2 SSD back to PCS first before a new replacement was sent out to me last week. This replacement product is an CSSD-F1000GBMP600R2.

I have installed the new M.2 SSD and have installed Windows 10 using a USB stick created using the Media Creation Tool, so that I could install the latest version: Windows 10 22H2. Everything seems to be running ok at moment.

Thank you for your help. @ubuysa @TonyCarter @SpyderTracks @Martinr36
@Bhuna50

Last edited: