My PC's HDD not connected/not working...

MattElger

Hi I bought a PC for Christmas and ive set it all up but my 2TB Hard drive doesnt show up on My Computer.
The PC Came with some cables but i dont knwo what to do with them so if someone could explain. Thank you :D

Edit: Also i dont think the SSD is connected/Working.

sanj

Hi is your ssd your first/window's drive?If so if it boot's into window's it's working!:eek: Please post a list of component's within your pc.

MattElger

Hey I dont know what you mean by my first/windows drive? I only got my PC yesterday my specs are gtx 970, i5 4690, 2tb hdd, 120gb ssd, z97x-gaming 3 motherboard, 16gb RAM :D Thanks for your reply :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey I dont know what you mean by my first/windows drive? I only got my PC yesterday my specs are gtx 970, i5 4690, 2tb hdd, 120gb ssd, z97x-gaming 3 motherboard, 16gb RAM :D Thanks for your reply :D

You may need to "initialise" the disk before its ready to be used.

Firstly check the cables to the drive, there are 2, slot them out gently then slot them back in making sure they click home. Make sure the shorter connector is also slotted in ok at the other end on the motherboard.

Then you need to go to "disk management". If on windows 8, just right click on the start button on the desktop and select disk management. If windows seven, go to the start button, control panel, then type in the search bar "disk management".

In there you should see the first disk that's labelled c: which will be your ssd that windows is on.

Then you should see a second equalling just under 2tb of space. Can you take a screenshot of this screen and post it?

Last edited:

MattElger

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot2.png
Here are the pics and I cant really see the cables because there are lots in a small area and i don't wanna break it :/.Thanks for the help :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So in disk manager there are the 2 disks, disk 0 is your ssd and disk 1 is the 2tb drive. Just right click on it and post what options there are.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So in disk manager there are the 2 disks, disk 0 is your ssd and disk 1 is the 2tb drive. Just right click on it and post what options there are.

The disk labelled Disk 1 in your second image (the disk management tool) has no drive letter assigned, I can't quite see enough of that disk's entry, but it looks to me to be all blank. In that case the disk is fine it's just that Windows doesn't "see" it. Right click on the white space in the entry for Disk 1 and select the entry "Change drive letter and paths" from the drop-down list. In the dialog box that opens click the Add button, Windows will suggest an appropriate (and unused) drive letter, if you don't like it you can change it) and then click ok. Windows will now see your disk.

I would format the disk (from within Windows) before you write anything to it though.