My second gaming rig from PCS!

steway

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all :)
This is my second gaming rig from PCS in 4 years ....Great bunch of guy's, very helpful, and extremely patient :D I do hope this will be enough for BF3 at full settings, got a second mortgage on my home for this baby(No, I never ...Just kidding)...[rollinglaugh]
Now the bad news!...We all know what comes next!!...The Lonnnggg Waaaaiitt...:yawn:...I think I'll go hibernate in my bed for two weeks, then time goes quicker :) :smartass:

Case: COOLERMASTER CM STORM SNIPER - NEXT GEN GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.80GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS® MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z: INTEL Z68 ROG MOTHERBOARD
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card: 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card: 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
3rd Graphics Card: NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk: NONE
3rd Hard Disk: NONE
4th Hard Disk: NONE
RAID: NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE: 20GB INTEL® SSD 311 SERIES - CACHE DRIVE FOR SYSTEM / 1st HDD
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£79)
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply: Change to: CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ GOLD AX1200-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR
Processor Cooling: COOLIT ECO II C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options: 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Miscellaneous: FREE Batman Arkham City with any Nvidia® GeForce GTX560 or above!
Maximum Required Power: 733W

Cya all soon....BFN :)
Swifty

Last edited:

Azirius

Bronze Level Poster
I'm no expert with computer components, but, I've heard some unsettling things about the Nvidia 590, apparently it's fairly unstable and quite a few people have fried theirs. As well as that it's supposedly odd with it's cooling fans, like they'd blow air in odd directions (?)... Don't necessarily take what I say as fact, but I thought I'd let you know what I've read. Maybe it's just bad experience on the owners parts?

Anyway. Looks like a nice bit of kit! You should post some pictures of it when it's delivered! :D

Teaz

Godlike
It looks fine. But im sure a non overclocked spec of the pc will pull off bf3 just fine. I don't think its worth it overclocking for gaming.

Also, 16gb ram is pretty much too much for gaming. Consider 8GB?

Last edited:

ace1

Silver Level Poster
may want to sleep longer then 2 weeks for a 590 as it take longer then other cards

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
id probably say get a 580 and a big PSU, so oyu can add a second later

also no need for OC, no need for 16GB RAM and no need for the maximus board

and no point in an expensive watercooler

and you could save some money by dropping to the 10x blu ray rewriter, if you read all the speeds some of them on it are faster

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have a feeling this gentleman wants the highest spec rig altogether, even if we would do things differently.

To the OP if your uses are only gaming, then I agree with teaz it is overkill.

steway

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks guys for the input :) I value what you all say, as I do have very little knowledge on PC hardware. I was thinking while putting this together that, maybe if I bought the best I could now, this will last (for me anyway) a very long time (at least 5-6 years)
Yes I know that, as it stands now, this "IS" overkill ( no getting away from it)...But what in about say, 3-4 years time? ....And yes, in that time, PC's could take a completely new direction, and may not even "BE" a PC as we know it today :rockon:.

But having said all that, the knowledge that you guys bring is second to none :) I have ordered the above, and I don't know how long it will say "AMEND ORDER" allowing me to rethink, and change things?? I am thinking SLI with two GTX 580's...Instead of one GTX 590?? (any thoughts?)
Any help you guys can bring, I will listen to.....But I can afford the best, and would like this rig around, for a while at least (don't ever think I'll have this sort of spare cash to spend on me "ever" again) :winkiss:

Cheers guys....and thanks :)

Swifty

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
id say get 2 580s as the 590 is slightly underclocked and will overheat a lot more due to 2 in 1

if yo cant quite afford it, get one now and in a few months or whatever, get a second one

also 16GB is not futureproofing, because by the time games even use 8GB, the rest of your rig will be well outdated

steway

Bronze Level Poster
id say get 2 580s as the 590 is slightly underclocked and will overheat a lot more due to 2 in 1

if yo cant quite afford it, get one now and in a few months or whatever, get a second one

also 16GB is not futureproofing, because by the time games even use 8GB, the rest of your rig will be well outdated

Cheers mate.... Changed from GTX590.....To..SLI two GTX 580's :) What about RAM? Shall I stay with the 1600MHz ? Or 8GB @ 2133MHz??

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you should stick to 8GB 1600MHz, the 2133MHz RAM is apparently quite unstable which is not really what you want in a rig and the difference would be minimal anyway

steway

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your help Wozza365 :) amend my order, also changed for a bigger PSU (but cheaper)....And all changes for just £93 extra ....Wow!! I'd say I'm real happy with that :).....Cheers again all :)

PS @Wozza365...Clicked your star m8 :) :)

steway

Bronze Level Poster
I have changed PSU to 1010w....At the bottom of my order it says: "Maximum Required Power 1100W - Consider upgrading your power supply." .....Although I had the "Tick" that all was Compatible!!!....Do I now need to upgrade my PSU "Again"???

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
uh yeh, i recommend getting a 1200W Corsair one, not one of the unbranded ones, its the most important part of your system, you dont want to cut corners with it

steway

Bronze Level Poster
It's been dispatched on Friday 7th ...After just 10 working days, Wow!!...My last build in 2007 took 18 working days, PCS have really improved :) Nice one guy's, should be hear by Wednesday, I'll post pics when she comes ;)

Thanks..

I like how BF3 is the minimum spec for anything purchased in the last few weeks! This looks like a great setup. I will that stress that the PSU is an integral piece of kit that can make or (literally) break a PC. Corsair all the way.