my ssd has failed i think.

Slyleggs

had two freezes on games today.2nd time my pc rebooted and said checking media and something about ipv4 then went to bios.
noticed my c drive missing,could not be read.also no flashing red light on it any more.
removed it and re seated it to no fix.
my pc is only 28 months old.is a pcs vortex.
can i put in any ssd?
also can i retrieve anything from old one if its dead?
any help would be much appreciated..im a bit noob

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
had two freezes on games today.2nd time my pc rebooted and said checking media and something about ipv4 then went to bios.
noticed my c drive missing,could not be read.also no flashing red light on it any more.
removed it and re seated it to no fix.
my pc is only 28 months old.is a pcs vortex.
can i put in any ssd?
also can i retrieve anything from old one if its dead?
any help would be much appreciated..im a bit noob
If it's 28months old then it's out of parts warranty.

The drive has failed, you'll need a replacement.

Can you post the full specs from the order page please?

Slyleggs

If it's 28months old then it's out of parts warranty.

The drive has failed, you'll need a replacement.

Can you post the full specs from the order page please?
how do i get the full specs from order page buddy?
i got it through currys pc world..
and i understand its outa warrenty,which is a shame.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
how do i get the full specs from order page buddy?
i got it through currys pc world..
and i understand its outa warrenty,which is a shame.
Ok, if you haven't registered it then warranty expired ages ago.

There's nothing you can do, just need to buy a replacement drive

Slyleggs

Ok, if you haven't registered it then warranty expired ages ago.

There's nothing you can do, just need to buy a replacement drive
what drive can i put in as replacement.old one is an ssd 512gb m.2 NVMe PCIe gen 3x4 model g930e with pcs sticker logo.
was looking at a 1tb.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Slyleggs

The Samsung 980 is currently on almost 50% off on Amazon, crazy good deal for a very reliable drive

Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3.500 MB/s) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8V1T0BW) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TJ2649W?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_9YKFCEE33XP8ZN35GA3F
thanyou verymuch buddy,so samsung are ok then.
i think i spoke to you when i first got my pc,never did upgrade my ram but might do that too same time,can i ask another question,what ram for 24gb i know nothing of herz it should be..i have 16gb hyper fury at the mo .

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thanyou verymuch buddy,so samsung are ok then.
i think i spoke to you when i first got my pc,never did upgrade my ram but might do that too same time,can i ask another question,what ram for 24gb i know nothing of herz it should be..i have 16gb hyper fury at the mo .
What do you need the extra RAM for? What program requires it? More RAM doesn't improve performance in any way, only maintains performance of a program actually requires it.

Samsung are one of the top for SSDs, usually rather expensive so this deal is really exceptionally good

Slyleggs

What do you need the extra RAM for? What program requires it? More RAM doesn't improve performance in any way, only maintains performance of a program actually requires it.

Samsung are one of the top for SSDs, usually rather expensive so this deal is really exceptionally good
i stream on twitch and have quite allot of programmes open plus othe wireless devices running telemetry data ect

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
whilst streaming no,to be honest not sure how.also i need to get ssd sorted first.so i guess i will do ram upgrade later if need.but i would be greatfull if you tell me how to check that.
Just open Resource Monitor, open the memory tab and sort descending by Hard Faults

A Hard Fault is where it's run out of space in RAM and instead is having to offload to the page file which is normally set on the windows drive.

Keep it open like that and have it so you can see the memory graph in the bottom right, then just monitor it while you're using the PC as you normally would.

If you see the hard faults ramping up, you know you need more RAM.

1682891851948.png

Given your usage it's almost certain you will need more, but it's worth knowing this anyway.
I wouldn't go spending vast sums of money on any kind of performance memory on that board, and you can't carry it across to a new build when you get one as we're on DDR5 now.

You can't go wrong with some good basic Crucial RAM, DDR4 3200MHz would be the sweetspot. Best to buy in matched pairs.

If 3200MHz is over the speeds of your current DIMMS, it will run at whatever your current DIMMS support, you can't have different frequencies across DIMMS, they run at the lowest speed supported by the weakest DIMM.

Just use the "Scan Computer" button and it will list all the options available. But just their bog standard DIMMS are very good, you won't need anything higher

Slyleggs

thanks buddy.i bookmarked.
as soon as i get a new drive put in i can check that.as i didnt do a backp previously its going to take a coupe of days to get all my stuff set back up.all my obs settings were on my c drive.my fault.
i dont suppose theres any way of retrieving anything off that drive now is there?

Slyleggs

Just open Resource Monitor, open the memory tab and sort descending by Hard Faults

A Hard Fault is where it's run out of space in RAM and instead is having to offload to the page file which is normally set on the windows drive.

Keep it open like that and have it so you can see the memory graph in the bottom right, then just monitor it while you're using the PC as you normally would.

If you see the hard faults ramping up, you know you need more RAM.

View attachment 36846

Given your usage it's almost certain you will need more, but it's worth knowing this anyway.
I wouldn't go spending vast sums of money on any kind of performance memory on that board, and you can't carry it across to a new build when you get one as we're on DDR5 now.

You can't go wrong with some good basic Crucial RAM, DDR4 3200MHz would be the sweetspot. Best to buy in matched pairs.

If 3200MHz is over the speeds of your current DIMMS, it will run at whatever your current DIMMS support, you can't have different frequencies across DIMMS, they run at the lowest speed supported by the weakest DIMM.

Just use the "Scan Computer" button and it will list all the options available. But just their bog standard DIMMS are very good, you won't need anything higher

and thanks for showing me that ram and cpu check thing.been on that before just browsing my pc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thanks buddy.i bookmarked.
as soon as i get a new drive put in i can check that.as i didnt do a backp previously its going to take a coupe of days to get all my stuff set back up.all my obs settings were on my c drive.my fault.
i dont suppose theres any way of retrieving anything off that drive now is there?
No, SSDs aren't like old spinning disk drives, if they fail the silicon is fried, no way of retrieving anything.

You never want to store your data on the same drive as windows, it's always worth having an HDD to store data as HDDs tend to fail gradually rather than immediately, so even if it did start to deteriorate you'd have a warning and be able to copy off data onto a replacement.

You can pick up a 2tb decent HDD for peanuts

Seagate BarraCuda, 2TB, Internal Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, SATA 6GB/s, 7.200 RPM, 64MB Cache, for Computer Desktop PC, FFP (ST2000DMZ08) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2RR55Q?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_YE0Y5SK7E02DXJF42YVF

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
cheers,5 yrs warrenty is good,not sure why i only got just over two yrs life on my current failed ssd
It's a very budget SSD, to be honest, the whole computer is a throwaway build. Next time come here for advice and we can design a custom PC which would be far better

Slyleggs

No, SSDs aren't like old spinning disk drives, if they fail the silicon is fried, no way of retrieving anything.

You never want to store your data on the same drive as windows, it's always worth having an HDD to store data as HDDs tend to fail gradually rather than immediately, so even if it did start to deteriorate you'd have a warning and be able to copy off data onto a replacement.

You can pick up a 2tb decent HDD for peanuts

Seagate BarraCuda, 2TB, Internal Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, SATA 6GB/s, 7.200 RPM, 64MB Cache, for Computer Desktop PC, FFP (ST2000DMZ08) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2RR55Q?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_YE0Y5SK7E02DXJF42YVF
i have plenty external hard drives and a 2tb internal storage drive.most of my stuff is on them.my programmes however like obs,afteraffects,moviemaker ,dash panel ect were on c drive but save stuff to other drive but thhe settings for them save in users file location on c drive.but ah well .gives me a chance to re vamp my stream i suppose.im getting old to so i forget quick how to do things i settup previously two years ago.
i have two seagat external drives,a 1tb for all my car and track mods and a 2tb for all my vid editing saves and music plus other files.
all my game files from steam are on the d drive.