My thoughts on GPU Tier-ing

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I threw this together. Note this is as of today pricing (23rd of April 2024) and will be subject to change by the hour in some cases.

There will always be a disparity in the performance but it's crazy to see just how over-priced Nvidia are by comparison.

I'll try to update this periodically as well. I've kept the spreadsheet so updating the values shouldn't be too much hassle. Entry level systems sees the value actually favouring Nvidia, after that it's a whitewash. The values are a little skewed when comparing the high end AMDs as only the top tier would match the 4080 Super (nothing for the 4090 from AMD really) but the 4070Ti doesn't quite get to where I would want it to be for the higher end uses.... where the XT does. It's a niche placement though and completely subject to interpretation.

1713898097308.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice summary, and appreciated. I'm still so up in the air with AMD vs Nvidia, especially with the 4080 Super price as at the superwide level, it does make the 4080 Super quite attractive for the extra visual gubbins.

But then people with pre-aztec city sized cases have to factor in length, and I have to find a card under 305mm long, and that's actually harder than you may think. I think it's the ProArt series that are the big contenders in that space, but then of course it pushed the price up significantly.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think this also gives a good perspective. Even upping a tier against the Nvidia GPUs still gives AMD a bit of a swing overall. Note for the performance differences I found 12 game average charts to compare direct GPUs. They aren't all in one particular resolution but they are all tested against the opposing counterpart.

1713900690562.png

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Nice summary, and appreciated. I'm still so up in the air with AMD vs Nvidia, especially with the 4080 Super price as at the superwide level, it does make the 4080 Super quite attractive for the extra visual gubbins.

But then people with pre-aztec city sized cases have to factor in length, and I have to find a card under 305mm long, and that's actually harder than you may think. I think it's the ProArt series that are the big contenders in that space, but then of course it pushed the price up significantly.

From the above I think the 4080 stands out. I was quite surprised to see that the 4070 Ti didn't in those particular metrics, but I guess that's due to me considering it in line with the 7900 GRE where it's price actually puts it smack bang in with the XT.

The 4080 Super is the only real "value" card from Nvidia I think.