my wifi card always decays

D1craig

Enthusiast
dacays maybe be the wrong word but i couldn think of anything else to ay lol

i have been noticing over the past week my wifi card has been displaying an orange button instead of a green button in the taskbar (bottom right corner of the screen next to the clock). i am guessing this is not a good thing, possibly meaning my internet isnt going to work very well.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ln7oykykn/full/]
image upload no resize[/URL]

Spuff

Expert
If your 'link quality' is 100% (I think mine just has a signal strength indicator) then I don't think there will be any reduction in the performance you see. You can read words at different light levels, and your wireless can read data at different signal levels.
If your wireless card has aerials try moving them into different positions. The issue could be with your router. A router re-set is the other thing I would first try.

Last edited:

D1craig

Enthusiast
yea we reset the router every now and again (quite often actually), my signal strength fluctuates between 85 and 100% i have no idea why though as my computer or the router doesnt move.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you live in an area with lots of interference that might be the key. it could be one of your neighbours has just bought a new router and is interfering with your setup. Things like cordless phones, microwaves and random things like that can cause this too.

However unless its getting worse I think your fine. Go to www.speedtest.net, check your getting roughly what you would expect. if so your probably fine.

D1craig

Enthusiast
for some reason non of the adobe stuff will let me install it. the programs seem to just crash before they open properly and let me go through the steps... all i get is the installing window but nothing else, no content inside the window just a grey area.

so... can someone help me. i am trying to view the manual but obviously i cant because of the above. i just want to know what the orange icon mean on my taskbar. its mostly green, but sometimes i find (when i get DC'd from a game) that it is orange and then as soon as i access the internet it goes green again. i am thinking this is something to do with the wifi card resting because it isnt seeing that im on the internet.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm, I had issues when i first got my pc and tried to use the wifi card. It worked in one house where the speed of the internet was good and i was reasonably close to the router. But in another house being in the loft the wifi card just couldn't cut it. At my folks old house they have a decent router (or i think it is) but massive thick stone walls, which destroys the signal haha.

If I were you, i'd ditch the wifi card and go for a set of Homeplugs. My Dlink set have worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years now. Certainly worth doing, noting worse than an unreliable internet connection.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i am thinking this is something to do with the wifi card resting because it isnt seeing that im on the internet.

It's most likely the wifi signal dropping out, rather than a problem with the wifi card. Pretty much everything can interfere with wifi signal. It's a bit of a gimmick in that sense, but I guess your (non gaming) standard PC user wouldn't really notice a short drop out.

Androcles

Rising Star
Do you have a firewall running? Sometimes some firewalls can block the svc host on networks accidentally, try turning off your firewall and antivirus for a while and see if it happens.

D1craig

Enthusiast
Any suggestions for home plugs? Would want more than one ether port and AC pass through and £50<. I have got some on the way from amazon that where/are £23.

It shouldn't be a firewall as nothing Has changed on the router since we got it and it has been mostly fine until 1-3month ago. Windows firewall isn't the problem either.