My world has changed forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Got my HTC Vive on Sunday. I've only had a few hours of play time so far but I cannot believe how good this thing is. It's so immersive I almost put a hole in my ceiling. I was knackered last night after an hour of various games to the point where I'm sore today.

If you have any opportunity to sample one then I strongly suggest you do. I'm going to struggle to leave the house now, although my bank balance will be taking a real hit with games over the coming months.

Rakk

The Awesome
I was knackered last night after an hour of various games to the point where I'm sore today.

Hehe, I had exactly that problem after trying my friends Vive out, the next day getting up or walking upstairs was not easy and it felt like my legs had seized up - I'd been trying out an archery game that involved dodging return shots so there was some amount of bouncing about, especially as I may have been overdoing it.

But yeah, I'm def getting a VR headset soon - probably June I think (have been waiting for the new audio headset for the Vive first otherwise I'd need to buy new headphones as well).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Depending on your graphics card, basically a 1000 series card will run it fine, check out the super sampling hack for the vive, makes a vast improvement to overall graphics, was a selectable option in the dk kit, for some reason they haven't put a selectable option into the release kit yet.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ro...y-with-supersampling-pixel-density-tweak/amp/

They are fun! I haven't used mine nearly as much as I should have as I just haven't had the time. I'm really waiting for fallout, doom and praying resident evil 7 makes an appearance although there have been no suggestions it will.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been trying to go through as many different things as I can. The catalogue of stuff is seriously huge now so it's taking me an age to find the right selections for myself. I did read about the scale tweaks and that's definitely something I will play with further down the line, having said that I don't really mind the general quality so it will be all gravy for me.

I read that RE7 was going to be a year delay for PC due to PS4 exclusivity. Is that not official then?

Games/Demos tried so far:

Star Wars Trials on Tatooine (Free) - Unbelievable, I giggled like a school girl playing this... seriously. I just hope a full game comes out with this sort of engine as it's amazing.

VR Funhouse (Free) - Great fun and a good demo for the mechanics of VR. I hit my ceiling playing this so be careful :D

Fantastic Contraption (Approx £20) - I absolutely loved the original. To say this brings a new dimension to it all is really understating it though. It feels a lot more involved and it takes a lot more to get very simple builds working. Amazing fun.

AudioShield (Approx £15) - I love music, I hate exercising.... this covers both bases. This isn't a game you will spend hours playing, it's a tool for exercise. 5-10 minutes playing this and you will have had a mini workout. Really worthwhile even just for health reasons as it's good fun.

Job Simulator (Approx £25) - I get that this is a good showcase for the mechanics again but I can't understand why this is such an expensive and highly rated game. Sure it's quirky and fun for 10 minutes or so but it got boring for me really quickly. If you can get it for free go for it, otherwise I would suggest making sure you either try it or know exactly what it's all about.

The Lab (Free) - This is a must have. Again it's just quirky fun to demonstrate the functionality of the system, it's really good.

Arizona Sunshine (Approx £30) - Now we are talking. This game is unbelievably fun. It's like stepping into the first season of the walking dead. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game and I can see a lot of hours going into it. Very precise shooting which has been the real key to the success for me, it feels real.

TheBlu Whale Encounter (Free) - There is a paid version that covers a few experiences but I haven't bothered with that. The whale encounter is a great experience just to give you an idea of the scaling involved. It's short but a must view IMO.

I've got Raw Data (£30) and the Assembly (£20) still to try, just can't find the time. I already have Project Cars so that's on my list to try too.

I really want to try Eve Valkyrie but I just can't spend £50 on a title I haven't tried. I'm hoping for a demo version to come out at some point. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Any recommendations?

I've got Raw Data (£70) and the Assembly (£50) still to try, just can't find the time. I already have Project Cars so that's on my list to try too.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've got Raw Data (£70) and the Assembly (£50) still to try, just can't find the time. I already have Project Cars so that's on my list to try too.

Where are you getting those prices? Raw Data is £29.99 on Steam and The Assembly is £19.99 as of right now (30 seconds ago).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Maybe those were the prices when he got them (speculation here).

Why copy my statement only to change the prices if he didn't think he was correcting me though? It was me that wrote that entire sentence in my previous post, other than the prices being changed lol.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Still not sold on the VR thing at the moment particularly on PC. If I owned a PS4, then the PSVR might have tempted me being much cheaper and they did a better job at getting some semi decent titles. Still can't see many games that are more than glorified tech demos and that just makes it not worth the price.

That's not to say that I'm not onboard with the technology. VR is awesome, even on my cardboard headset its pretty damn amazing. But would much rather put that money towards an amazing monitor, which I'd use far more.

Rakk

The Awesome
Why copy my statement only to change the prices if he didn't think he was correcting me though? It was me that wrote that entire sentence in my previous post, other than the prices being changed lol.

Um dunno, I wasn't paying attention so didn't notice it was the same text :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've got Raw Data (£23.99) and the Assembly (£19.99) still to try, just can't find the time. I already have Project Cars so that's on my list to try too.
*cough cough* :shifty:

But yeah, there's a steam VR sale on at the moment.

Elven Assassin looks fun. Not fun enough to make me buy a VR setup, but fun nevertheless.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
*cough cough* :shifty:

But yeah, there's a steam VR sale on at the moment.

Elven Assassin looks fun. Not fun enough to make me buy a VR setup, but fun nevertheless.

That's literally just changed :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Still not sold on the VR thing at the moment particularly on PC. If I owned a PS4, then the PSVR might have tempted me being much cheaper and they did a better job at getting some semi decent titles. Still can't see many games that are more than glorified tech demos and that just makes it not worth the price.

That's not to say that I'm not onboard with the technology. VR is awesome, even on my cardboard headset its pretty damn amazing. But would much rather put that money towards an amazing monitor, which I'd use far more.

Many years ago I bought a Force GT wheel for Gran Turismo, then barely used the thing. Last night I dug it out of the loft to play in Project Cars in VR. It was absolutely mind blowing. I can't even explain the experience. It took a LOT of getting used to and there was a lot of crashing, the sensation was so real though. Going backwards actually gave me that weird feeling you sometimes get on a train when you're stationary but feel like you're moving backwards :D

Project Cars is definitely a highlight for me so far.
Arizona Sunshine is also a great game (Proper).
I believe Eve is a proper game also.

However, I see it quite similar to the Wii in that it's actually more of a social gaming platform rather than singular as it would actually appear. I'm definitely going to arrange a VR party at some point, should be fun :D

Sylence

Scotster you've made this sound so tempting!

Out of curiosity have you tried the Oculus Rift? That's the only VR machine I've been able to test out and I'm curious to see how it compared.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Scotster you've made this sound so tempting!

Out of curiosity have you tried the Oculus Rift? That's the only VR machine I've been able to test out and I'm curious to see how it compared.

I haven't no, but as I understood it the room scale VR was nowhere near as good? I went through them both multiple times and each time there was only one winner for me.

I've just spent an hour driving round the Nurburgring. I can't even explain how good it is. The force feedback on the wheel just adds to it so much.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Maybe one day I'll pick one up. I don't think it's as gimmicky as the Wii controls were. I think this has a lot of real world applications and can offer incredible experiences. I'll never forget the demo at the Imperial War Museum of the Easter Rising. Poking my head round the corner to gunshots and it genuinely forcing me back.

For now, I think the price is holding it back far too much. That's why the Gear VR is selling so well, and I think the new Google one will too. I don't think people are necessarily looking for the very best VR experience. They just want a good experience and those headsets with modern phones do the job well. Even my cardboard does a decent enough job. I have a few 360 photos that I took with my phone in various places and they feel almost like being there. I want to try the Google Earth demo more than anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.