N170RD Suddenly Shuts Down - Fan Test?

rodtho

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on my N170RD laptop and recently had a couple of occasions when it suddenly and unexpectedly shutdown. I'm assuming that its an overheat problem. I've opened it up to clean it but there wasn't really anything to clean out. The fans both spin freely but I haven't noticed them come on lately. Is there any way to test the fans?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on my N170RD laptop and recently had a couple of occasions when it suddenly and unexpectedly shutdown. I'm assuming that its an overheat problem. I've opened it up to clean it but there wasn't really anything to clean out. The fans both spin freely but I haven't noticed them come on lately. Is there any way to test the fans?

Turn it on, and the fans should come on. If they're not then there's a problem.

You need to install some temp monitoring software and check your temps, it may be that a repaste is required.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even I faced a similar issue.
try downloading colling software or increase your RAM capability.
Hope I am helpful.
Thank you.

urm, not sure what you mean by "cooling software", no software can cause cooling capabilities, unless you're talking about fan control
Upgrading RAM has absolutely zero impact on cooling.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Even I faced a similar issue.
try downloading colling software or increase your RAM capability.
Hope I am helpful.
Thank you.

Please NO!

First off, RAM has nothing to do with either the cooling nor the fans, which is what's under discussion here.

Secondly, if you're talking about RAM accelerator software these are nothing more than snake oil. They are developed and used by people who have no idea how Windows manages RAM.

niraladk753

In many case, it turned out to be an Nvidia driver that caused random shutdowns. I had the driver 396.54, but removing it and installing the 390.87 fixed the problem. You can do something like .. or you can update the latest driver.