N850HK motherboard power ICs blown

marbac

Hi
Has anyone had experience of replacing blown chips on their motherboard?

I was on it the other night, had it plugged in, and then it powered down saying the battery was empty. This obviously seemed odd considering i had it plugged in.

So, seemed as though my power supply was broke. I ordered a replacement which arrived today and still no power.

I've dismantled the laptop and upon close inspection, there are 4 chips by the power supply that appear to be slightly burnt.

I am glad that theres no damage to any other part of the laptop (it powered down as opposed to dying on the spot).

Ive looked around for parts and these appear to be the closest match so far:

What are people's thoughts, easy task? Do you know if there are other parts likely needing replacing? Anyone know what this board is and if there are any schematics knocking about?

Many many thanks
Martin.
PicsArt_03-24-06.36.26.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is yeh, bought it May 2017
View attachment 15432
With something like this I would strongly suggest contacting PCS directly, they're very helpful, they may not be able to advise on the component you need, but they'd be able to provide a manual.

It may be worth getting a quote for the motherboard replacement anyway, just so you're aware. You may be surprised, we've had a few people get replacement laptop motherboards and they're never as much as I would have expected.

The motherboard is a N850HK motherboard, they're specific to the clevo chassis, they're not generic boards or 3rd party boards like on desktops, each board is made for the chassis.

marbac

Speaking of the chassis, they're a bit rubbish arent they? I've probably opened it up 3-4 times and already some of the plastic screw thread holder things have snapped. Same for one side of the lid hinge. Or is it just me? I wouldn't say I'm particularly heavy handed

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Speaking of the chassis, they're a bit rubbish arent they? I've probably opened it up 3-4 times and already some of the plastic screw thread holder things have snapped. Same for one side of the lid hinge. Or is it just me? I wouldn't say I'm particularly heavy handed
That’s the cheapest gaming chassis PCS do. You wouldn’t be able to find the same internal power anywhere else for the same money, but that’s how they make it cheaper is by sacrificing the chassis and screen quality compared to other chassis.
If you saw a vortex up close and personal, totally different story, nice aluminium build and insane quality screen.
You get what you pay for.