Nedd help to pick my lappy

umboma

Hello all,

I'm in two mind about what laptop to get can you please take a look at both specs and let me know your thoughts, The main question I have is for double the price am I going to get double the power as this is only going to be used for gaming.

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk

1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Total £1500

OR

The Asus N55

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Quad Core (2.2 GHz, Intel Sandy Bridge Architecture, 6 MB L3 cache, Features Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
Screen 15.6" (ASUS Color-Shine, 1920x1080, HD)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
RAM 6GB (DDR3 1333MHZ)
Hard Drive 640GB
Optical Drive Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray HD Play back + DVD-RW & CD-RW)
Graphics Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M with 2GB DDR Dedicated Memory)

Total £749.99

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The first one would be much better as the SSd makes boot and opening of programs really blindingly fast. It also has a much better graphics card so would be better for gaming. Also, you will have more RAM which is never a bad thing. Finally, the customer support for pcs is unbeatable which is small but always important. Overall, with the top laptop, you will be able to play most games at next to max settings and for a few years. With the second laptop, you will be able to play most games at high settings but not for as long. Overall, I would go for the more expensive one but your choice...best of luck!!!

matget

The Asus N55

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Quad Core (2.2 GHz, Intel Sandy Bridge Architecture, 6 MB L3 cache, Features Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
Screen 15.6" (ASUS Color-Shine, 1920x1080, HD)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
RAM 6GB (DDR3 1333MHZ)
Hard Drive 640GB
Optical Drive Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray HD Play back + DVD-RW & CD-RW)
Graphics Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M with 2GB DDR Dedicated Memory)

Total £749.99

Do you have a link of where you can buy this laptop for this price?

AndyL

The PCS laptop should get roughly 20000 3DMark06 Score however the 2nd laptop should get about 11000 3DMark96 Score so almost double the performance. However the PCS laptop also has an SSD and so will be a lot more quicker at loading things such as windows and applications/programs, also the PCS customer support is quite legendary. So I would definitely recommend the 1st Laptop (Vortex).

matget

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure if we're allowed to post links for competitors?? but the laptop is from a certain highstreet music shop "His Master's Voice :D

Ah ok, makes sense, I should probabaly read the forum rules!
I wouldn't even know if His Masters Voice would even get the specs right for that laptop as they are not dedicated computer sellers, and this laptop is available in a number of configurations

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
If I were you, although I have nothing against His Masters Voice, I wouldn't trust buying a laptop from there, would feel much safer buying it here, even though it is over the internet!!!

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Depends most on your budget, if you wanted to save you can drop the SSD from the PCS build, still should have around double the performance in games.