need a bit of help with SSD and HDD

okay so my pc has arrived and i'm thrilled with it thanks PCS :D but i have a proplem and that problem is everytime i download programmes and games it always wants to put it in my SSD which is set to be the primary hard drive as my OS is installed on there, now i want to download the majority of my programmes and games to my HDD as i did with all my other pc's but when i go into the HDD it isn't set up the same as the SSD (example is on the SSD its got folders for prgramme files and the like where as the HDD does not) sorry if this is going on a bit but im new to SSD's and i don't want to mess up the PC when im installing things.

any help will be much obliged :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can easily install programs on your second hard drive. The vast majority of applications will give you the option where to install,a very few won't however.To install an app on a second hard drive just create a folder on it "programs" for example then browse to that location when installing anything,or better still,simply delete the "C" on "location"when installing the program and type in the drive letter of the drive you want to install to,this will automatically create the necessary folder on the second hard drive the first time you do it.

PokerFace

Banned
You can easily install programs on your second hard drive. The vast majority of applications will give you the option where to install,a very few won't however.To install an app on a second hard drive just create a folder on it "programs" for example then browse to that location when installing anything,or better still,simply delete the "C" on "location"when installing the program and type in the drive letter of the drive you want to install to,this will automatically create the necessary folder on the second hard drive the first time you do it.

I believe I did a similar thing with my partitioned hard drive and it worked well. One of the problems that you might encounter, is some programs (but not too many) don't seem to give you the option of where to download to, and automatically put it on the 'C' drive (anyone know a way around this?).

okay thanks vanthus i just want it looking neat lol :)

As well (if not more importantly) as "looking neat", you would not want all your stuff going onto the SSD, as it would fill up quickly, as they are generally much smaller capacity than a HDD.

I believe most people with SSD's tend to put their operating system on it as well as their most used programs or favourite/most played games.

Have fun and let us know how it works out :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
... some programs (but not too many) don't seem to give you the option of where to download to, and automatically put it on the 'C' drive (anyone know a way around this?).

If you're asking "how can I make the default download folder exist on a partition (or drive) other than C:" then the answer is yes - always assuming you're running Win7 or Win8.

Create the "new" default download folder on your other partition or drive (mine is D:\Users\Downloads). Then navigate with Windows Explorer to the C:\Users\your-name\Downloads folder (or whatever is your current default download folder) and right-click on it. In the dialog box that pops-up click on the Location tab. Click the Move button and navigate to your "new" downloads folder, click it and click the Select Folder button. Back at the original dialog box (with your new default downloads folder appearing in the box there) click Ok. You'll be asked to confirm you want to move the folder so click Yes and the existing contents of the current downloads folder will be moved to your "new" downloads folder and Windows will use your "new" folder as the default destination for all future downloads.

You can move any or all of the other folders under C:\users in the same way... :)

If you're asking "how can I make the default download folder exist on a partition (or drive) other than C:" then the answer is yes - always assuming you're running Win7 or Win8.

Create the "new" default download folder on your other partition or drive (mine is D:\Users\Downloads). Then navigate with Windows Explorer to the C:\Users\your-name\Downloads folder (or whatever is your current default download folder) and right-click on it. In the dialog box that pops-up click on the Location tab. Click the Move button and navigate to your "new" downloads folder, click it and click the Select Folder button. Back at the original dialog box (with your new default downloads folder appearing in the box there) click Ok. You'll be asked to confirm you want to move the folder so click Yes and the existing contents of the current downloads folder will be moved to your "new" downloads folder and Windows will use your "new" folder as the default destination for all future downloads.

You can move any or all of the other folders under C:\users in the same way... :)

so basically i can copy all the folders in my ssd to a hdd as long as i do them one by one ?