Need a new monitor for old PC (at the moment)

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

My current monitor is an 27" LG W2753V 1080p which I got from PCSpecalist with my PC 7 years ago, its starting to go on the blink as it flickers and then goes black, turning it on and off sometimes helps or giving it a tap on the top might bring it back but its a pain.

I will be buying another PC from here in about 3 or 4 months or so but I dont think my monitor will last that long so want to upgrade that just now but im confused with the whole IPS, TN, 1440p, 4k, Hz etc. I will be using it for gaming such as PUBG, Witcher type games, for watching movies on and will also need to connect with the PS4.

From what I've read (and can understand) I should get something that is a TN panel with at least 1440p and at 120Hz..... does that sound about right? or should I go for 4k? and is G-sync the same as free-sync? and I dont want to go any smaller that 27" size.

it would need to work with my current PC and PS4 in the meantime which is -

i7-930 2.8GHz
GTX 770 2GB

but I'm hoping to be buying a

i7-8700K Six Core 3.7GHz
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti
(hoping this PC will last me 7 years also lol)

My budget is about £500 (lower if possible but can go higher if needed) and was wanting one with speakers so I didnt have to wear a headset for the ps4.

Any sugestions would be great.

Thanks

JJ

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Are you sure it's the monitor that's faulty, and not an issue with the PC? Have you tried the PC with a different monitor (or a TV with an HDMI input)? Or tried the monitor with a different computer, or a device like a DVD player?

What will your budget for the new PC be in a few months? There's no point buying a £500+ 1440p 144hz gsync monitor if you're not buying a PC capable of making use of that hardware anyway.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

I use the monitor with my PS4 through an HDMI cable and it still cuts out with that so its not the PC like I thought also.

I have done a quick configure of the PC I will probably buy (if nothing new comes out by then but i'll be asking on the forums for advice on it also at that time)

Case GAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME Z370-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
M.2 SSD Drive 512GB SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2100MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit OFFICE Only)

£2,077.00 but can go a little higher if needed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sounds like you've got all bases covered.

I'd avoid the 960 Pro, as it's super expensive for 500gb's of SSD space. The PM961 is little more than it for double the storage space. But as you say, check back closer to the time and see what the various prices are / if there's any new hardware. That's certainly a ballpark spec that would be worthy of 1440p or even 4k.

The S2716DG has been a popular choice. There are also Acer Predator models, and things like the AOC Agon AG271QG. Even the best models can have bad panels so make sure you buy from a store whose returns policy you're happy with.

For 4k, there is is the Acer XB271HK which is quite often on sale for £400.

If you think you'll want a 2nd monitor anyway for web pages and so forth you could always pick up a cheap 1080p monitor for now, and review your options again closer to buying a new PC. What with HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate being announced, and volta possibly being announced in the next few months.

Edit: I meant to add that a GTX 770 is going to struggle badly with 1440p and even more with 4k. It should still run games but at substantially reduced settings, or more likely just with you playing below native res. It should support either of those monitors through Display Port.

Last edited:

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the info.

Do you think 4k is worth it for gaming or would the 1080TI struggle more?

I had a look at the dell and it ticks the boxes but I was hoping to get one with speakers for when using the PS4 but it isnt a major deal breaker, I'll check the others out and try narrow it down.

You listed an IPS panel, I thought the response time on those wernt as good as the TN ones or does it not make much of a difference?

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I believe the Dell S2716DG has a headphones output which you could presumably plug some speakers into. I know some monitors have this and saw this topic indicated it was the case, though haven't researched in depth: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19667083

You listed an IPS panel, I thought the response time on those wernt as good as the TN ones or does it not make much of a difference?
It doesn't make much of a difference. Google reviews of any monitor before you get it, but any IPS panel with gsync is going to be fine for gaming. It wouldn't do very well if it had gsync and the expense that brings with it but was unusable for gaming vs the competition :)

Unless you're playing CS:GO at a competitive level or something, it's a non-issue.

The 1080 ti obviously will find 4k more demanding than 1440p. If going for 4k, I would very strongly recommend a gsync monitor so that as and when framerates do dip below 60, you don't get stutter as you would with a conventional 60hz monitor. I think 4k is an entirely viable option, but would let others with more experience of it give an opinion. Ultimately it's your call, and I'm sure neither 1440p high refresh nor 4k would be a disappointment.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks

After looking into it all there is so much to choose from but I think I have narrowed it down to Acer Predator XB271HU IPS which is around £570 from Amazon but will try see if its cheaper elsewhere.

Ta