Need advice between 17.3 Optimus Pro vs Vyper please

Hey guys,
My first post here so bare with me.

I'm trying to decide between the 17.3 inch Optimus Pro and the Vyper for a gaming build.
So the basic builds would be as follows:

Optimus Pro:
i7 10750H processor
16gb 2666mhz Ram
RTX 2060 6GB Graphics
512gb 2000mbs m.2 SSD
1tb 2000mbs m.2 SSD
Price approx £1400

Vyper:
i7 10875H Processor
16gb 2666mhz Ram
RTX 2060 6GB (maybe stretch to 2070)
512gb 2000mbs m.2 SSD
1tb 2000mbs m.2 SSD
Price Approx £1600 (or £1760 with RTX 2070).

So I was wondering what people think, and advice on which one maybe be better value for money, or if there are any issues with either of these two laptop. Not VR gaming at the moment but theres always the possibility I'd like to pick it up.

I'm potentially willing to spend the money for the more future proof Vyper. As it has the thunderbolt 3 port, I'm assuming that I'll be able to plug in a better graphics card externally, but is it really that simple? Will the CPU and other components be put under too much strain if I do this in the future?

And does anyone know what the cooling is like on these models? Would like whatever I get to live a long an happy life. The Vyper looks thinner than the optimus, so I was worried about it overheating.

I know this question gets asked but, RAM. Is 16gb enough to be futureproof or are we getting to the point that 32gb is the way to go?

Finally, one for the general public, how would you rate the build quality on these machines? (No offence to PCS, just have to ask).

Please be as honest as you want!

Cheers guys!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
With the Vyper you can put an eGPU in for about 80% performance of the desktop card you use, so yes it’s well worth it. The CPU and RAM will be good for about 10 years with any eGPU setup.

This is an example of an eGPU:

You get that and then buy any desktop card you like and plug it in.

The Vyper has quite amazing cooling although the BIOS currently expects ok system temps in the mid 90’s, but that should be addressed in a BIOS update I’m sure. But the fans have loads of headroom available to cool further, it’s an incredible chassis regarding thermals.

As you can tell, I’m a bit of a fan of the Vyper!

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

You're probably best to wait for advice from a couple of the experts on here, but speaking as a layman, personally I'd go with the Vyper of those two (and with the 2070 if you can stretch to it) The full fat 2070 is pretty capable and I could be wrong, but I doubt the 2060 would be great for VR.

It may help the other guys if you share the type of games you'll be playing and whether you intend to hook it up to an external monitor (and if so, at what resolution)

Regarding cooling, the Vyper is a new design, so there's nothing out there on it yet. However, it uses the same chassis as the Eluktronics Max-17, which there are several reviews of on YouTube, so that may give you a general idea.

One other point to consider is that the Vyper has roughly double the size battery of the Optimus Pro, so the runtime is likely to be considerably longer (if that's important to you) and it's also a bit lighter. On the other hand, the webcam on the Vyper is on the bottom of the screen, which isn't ideal, whereas the Optimus has it on top.

*edit* Didn't realise Spydertracks had replied, so yeah, better to listen to him than me :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Didn’t realise you wanted it for VR, neither would be capable of VR, in a laptop you’d want the 2080 as a minimum but preferably the 2080 super if available.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Didn’t realise you wanted it for VR, neither would be capable of VR, in a laptop you’d want the 2080 as a minimum but preferably the 2080 super if available.

For what it is worth, my current laptop (which is being replaced with a Vyper 17 that got built today!) has a 1070 and runs most VR games just fine. A 2080 in a laptop frankly is a bit overkill unless you are playing some ridiculously graphically-intense games, even with VR. In my opinion, the Vyper 17 with a 2070 is the perfect combo, and indeed, is what I have ordered!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For what it is worth, my current laptop (which is being replaced with a Vyper 17 that got built today!) has a 1070 and runs most VR games just fine. A 2080 in a laptop frankly is a bit overkill unless you are playing some ridiculously graphically-intense games, even with VR. In my opinion, the Vyper 17 with a 2070 is the perfect combo, and indeed, is what I have ordered!
It depends what headset you're talking about, if you mean a first gen headset, or a hybrid like Oculus quest, then yes, but if it's a current gen one then no way, you'll need all of the 2080 card in a laptop.

I can just about run my HTC Rift 1st gen on a 1080 and that's really pushing it.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'm leaning more towards the Vyper as the Thunderbolt 3 will allow me to setup an eGPU.
A few questions about that though.

1. If I'm doing this would there be any point in getting the 2070 over the 2060?

2. Would that actually reduce thermal load when in use?

3. And would an eGPU be better for VR than a meatier onboard GPU?

Thanks!

raypat

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'm leaning more towards the Vyper as the Thunderbolt 3 will allow me to setup an eGPU.
A few questions about that though.

1. If I'm doing this would there be any point in getting the 2070 over the 2060?

2. Would that actually reduce thermal load when in use?

3. And would an eGPU be better for VR than a meatier onboard GPU?

Thanks!

2070 is really future proofing yourself and for me it is worth the price increase.

AX10

If you want to save £100 or so, transfer (if you can) your Windows 10 key from a prev laptop (if it's not locked to it) or buy a key for £20 online.

I've got the Vyper 315.6 2070 version and it's a great laptop.

Sure it gets hot when gaming sometimes, but that's to be expected. I've also managed to undervolt it by around-0.090 which has decreased temperatures slightly too. The 17.3" will only have better thermals as well.