Need help deciding on a laptop.

w09scottj

Hello. I need a new laptop to replace my (incredibly old dell inspiron 1525) current laptop. I will be taking it to uni. I would like to be able to play Total War games at high settings so I know that the CPU is incredibly important thus why one of the two I am considering has a desktop CPU. I have two questions;
1. Would the increased performance of the Octane justify the extra £600 pounds I'd have to spend?
2. Are there any adjustments anyone can think of for either of these setups?

1: Optimus VII, i7 6700HQ, 8GB 1600GHZ, GTX 960M, 1TB Serial ata HD, 128GB SSD, Arctic MX-4-£820
2: Octane II, i7 6700k, 8GB 2133GHZ, GTX 970m, 1TB Serial ata HD, 128GB SSD, Arctic MX-4- £1409

Any help would be appreciated, I can push my budget to get the Octane but only if it's worth it.

P.S. Please don't suggest I get a desktop instead as I see so many do when people ask about laptops for Total War. I will not have the space nor the transport capacity.

Manta

I guess the second option can be easily justified in return for higher performance (but probably not value). The question is do you really need it? Would the first option not be enough? For most people/uses the first option would be more than enough, but since I don't know how heavy total war is on could I can't tell for sure. Anyway the cpu in the first choice is still extremely good and the most boost you would get from the second option would be the graphics.

Last edited:

Switchblade

There is a bit of a gulf between these 2 chassis, the one in the middle would be the defiance which has alot of the same features as the Octane model but with a mobile CPU. This series is a bit more CPU and RAM intensive so maxing these out would be best, you dont need a fantastic GPU, around the 960 and above should do the trick. Other than this an SSD would be almost as essential as the CPU, more modern games tend to run than much faster on an SSD.

My suggestion is focusing on defiance and Octane. The GPU of Optimus is not good enough for ATTILA, 2.0g is too low. some of my friends cannot reach average 30 fps with middle setting.
I think 970m 6.0g is OK, because even 980m cannot ran all the highest performance,so why not save some money here.

For the CPU, I think 6700 without K is enough for the mobile GPU if you really want a desktop CPU.

In summary
DEFIANCE:6700hq,970m, SSD,drop OS if you have one.I think it is a decent setting for most gaming player.
OCTANE : 6700( 6700K is too overkill for laptop),16G RAM, SSD, 970m

Buy the way, most university students can get a discount for OS from school, I think

Last edited: