Need Help figuring out why System just Shuts Down While Gaming

DeadCell79

Hello. im looking for any advice that could help me figure out my issue. as my PC shuts off while i am gaming. no warning or anything like that just knocks out and powers down randomly after an hour or so while gaming. i recently Upgraded my GPU to a Power Color AMD Radeon RX 6800XT RED DEVIL. from a XFX RX Radeon 5700 XT DD. I am also running Two Monitors.

My Ststem
Case - FRACTAL MESHIFY S2
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU - AMD RX Radeon 6800 XT Red Devil - PowerColor
Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
RAM - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz
Storage 1 - 2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s
Storage 2 M.2- 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Power Supply - CORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling - Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Fans - 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Led Strip - 50cm RGB LED Strip
Network Card - WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

GPU Temps sits around 61c/64c
GPU Junction temps sits around 87/107c

i have rolled back to the previous AMD Driver softwear (21.6.1) and the problem keeps happening still
i even set my iCue fans to Extreme to try and keep thermals lower but still crashes.

my next step while trouble shooting was to switch the GPU's dual Bios from OC to Silent mode to see what happens.

But i was wondering what are the chances my RM 750w PSU wasn't enough. should i be looking at a 850w PSU?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The first suspect will be overheating so you'll want to monitor temperatures (CPU and GPU mostly). HWMonitor is a good tool but any tool that shows your temperatures, both at idle and under heavy load, will do.

rouchie

Rising Star
I had a similar issue on my current build a while back and it trurned out to be a faulty PSU causing the issue

DeadCell79

The first suspect will be overheating so you'll want to monitor temperatures (CPU and GPU mostly). HWMonitor is a good tool but any tool that shows your temperatures, both at idle and under heavy load, will do.
hey there. so i have indeed been using HWMonitor, also GPU-Z. whats bothering me is how the GPU Junction Temps keep climbing higher and higher while the GPU Temps remain relativity stable.

i have come across. Ebuyer, CCL, Newegg, Curry's, & powercolor.com and a few others and all recommend the minimum PSU should be 850W
all apart from Scan which seems to be the only one that says 750w PSU Can be a minimum.

tonight im testing it again under load but with the Silent BIOS switched on this time on the GPU.

DeadCell79

I had a similar issue on my current build a while back and it trurned out to be a faulty PSU causing the issue
ahhh really. did you go up on your psu or just got the same one replaced for another one like it?

because im slowly coming to the idea that i may need to go up on my PSU if its not a a fault or a driver issue or thermal/Fan related issue with heat not reaching properly or dispensing out of the case.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hey there. so i have indeed been using HWMonitor, also GPU-Z. whats bothering me is how the GPU Junction Temps keep climbing higher and higher while the GPU Temps remain relativity stable.

i have come across. Ebuyer, CCL, Newegg, Curry's, & powercolor.com and a few others and all recommend the minimum PSU should be 850W
all apart from Scan which seems to be the only one that says 750w PSU Can be a minimum.

tonight im testing it again under load but with the Silent BIOS switched on this time on the GPU.
I would also suggest it may be the PSU being underpowered, when the system is loaded to high, it will just shut down or BSOD due to lack of power.

rouchie

Rising Star
ahhh really. did you go up on your psu or just got the same one replaced for another one like it?

because im slowly coming to the idea that i may need to go up on my PSU if its not a a fault or a driver issue or thermal/Fan related issue with heat not reaching properly or dispensing out of the case.
Yes, I upgraded the PSU and that seemed to work for my issue

DeadCell79

If it were me, I would always get an 1000w platinum. Go for the best of the best if you plan having high tier GPUs and CPUs.
So a little up date. i got a New PSU. Corsair HX1000 1000W 80+ Platinum and so far. i haven't had any shut downs which is a great sign.

in terms of thermals the highest they reached was GPU Temp 68c & GPU Junction Temp 109c which did have me worried as there is such a large gap temps between the two over a period of gaming.

the average temps was GPU Temp 60c / GPU Junction 88c give or take in either direction at certain points.

im planing to add a 120mm fan at the bottom of the case to have an extra intake fan to blow air onto the GPU (well as near as possible to do that)

my only issue is figuring out one of the better 120mm fans to put there. ive been bouncing between corsair, Fractal Design, and Nochua

i am also debating whether if its a good idea to remove the Front dust filter of my Meshify S2 to get more air flow into the case as the Dust filter and the Radiator seem to disrupt the air flow quite a lot

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i am also debating whether if its a good idea to remove the Front dust filter of my Meshify S2 to get more air flow into the case as the Dust filter and the Radiator seem to disrupt the air flow quite a lot
Id just see how it is now with the new PSU, don’t worry about T Junction readings, it’s the main GPU reading that’s of interest which is absolutely fine.