Need help! Getting 300+ ping spikes on Desktop

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Hey!

Over the last few weeks i've noticed my games just locking up for around 3-5 seconds at a time, every like 1 or 2 hours very hard to say exactly how long.

I've spoken to my ISP and they have said all looks fine from their end.

I'm currently connected via home plugs.

I've reset my router many times and fully updated windows nothing has changed.

Below is a screenshot of the ping spikes i caught while doing a ping test. I'm going out of my mind with these spikes which seem to be happening more frequently.

https://i.gyazo.com/2756b9905489c27ab04b9e73ec68972d.png

If anyone has any idea what this could be i'm all ears!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey!

Over the last few weeks i've noticed my games just locking up for around 3-5 seconds at a time, every like 1 or 2 hours very hard to say exactly how long.

I've spoken to my ISP and they have said all looks fine from their end.

I'm currently connected via home plugs.

I've reset my router many times and fully updated windows nothing has changed.

Below is a screenshot of the ping spikes i caught while doing a ping test. I'm going out of my mind with these spikes which seem to be happening more frequently.

https://i.gyazo.com/2756b9905489c27ab04b9e73ec68972d.png

If anyone has any idea what this could be i'm all ears!
Almost certainly the homeplugs, they're awful in regards to gaming.

Try testing it off the homeplugs, almost certain it will disappear.

Or it's the server you're connecting to.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
I've just carried out some ping tests on my phone and laptop also to see if it would confirm a PC issue and it's the same on my phone and laptop 300-500 ping spikes.

I've also had another lengthy conversation with my ISP to be told they don't measure in ping and my download/upload speeds are within acceptable thresholds so they will not do anything about it.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just carried out some ping tests on my phone and laptop also to see if it would confirm a PC issue and it's the same on my phone and laptop 300-500 ping spikes.

I've also had another lengthy conversation with my ISP to be told they don't measure in ping and my download/upload speeds are within acceptable thresholds so they will not do anything about it.
So it tells you it's either the line or the router, or the server you're connecting to, but nothing to do with the computer.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Below is one of the results i got from pingplotter, i wish i understood it. Any idea what prs-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net?

What was the target IP you set on that Ping trace?

You want to set the game server as the target IP, should be highlighted in the game you're using.

Setting a generalise IP or website could give spurious information that isn't really relevant, we need to decipher the actual pathway that's affecting the game itself to be 100% certain where the delay is.

If it was the game server, then what was the IP / address?

CMP01

Enthusiast
Almost certainly the homeplugs, they're awful in regards to gaming.

Try testing it off the homeplugs, almost certain it will disappear.

Or it's the server you're connecting to.

Would 'homeplugs' be akin to powerline adaptor?

Cos they're a godsend for me. Might be a quirk of fate or this house but the Wifi on this PC (see below) gets about 20Mbps but 160Mbps via powerline. More than enough for me to game though tbh I'm light on mp stuff (hate lone wolfing, lack of real coop and gits... nothing beat L4D for good times and strangers getting it done together) My older Asus ROG Strix laptop gets 180Mbps on the Wifi but on the other side of the room while the router is a floor down and a room over... but I can't move this PC to that spot even to test... the tetris of the room won't allow it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Below is one of the results i got from pingplotter, i wish i understood it. Any idea what prs-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net?

It part of the Internet backbone. Twelve99.net is a company based in Sweden, their servers are hosted by a Swedish telecoms company called Telia AB (telia.net).

You didn't show us who the destination was for that Pingplotter run but the whole route (pretty much) goes through tewelve99.net servers. Try a different destination for a Pingplotter test that doesn't route through Sweden.

If you were pinging the game server that you're having issues with and that twelve.net router is the problem then there is next to nothing that you can do about that. Note that routers are not obliged to reply to ping at all, nor are they obliged to reply in a timely manner. They may drop ping responses to the lowest QoS they offer for example. For these reasons ping is not a good measure of network performance.

Clipboard01.jpg

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
More specifically that's a server in Switzerland:

It part of the Internet backbone. Twelve99.net is a company based in Sweden, their servers are hosted by a Swedish telecoms company called Telia AB (telia.net).

You didn't show us who the destination was for that Pingplotter run but the whole route (pretty much) goes through tewelve99.net servers. Try a different destination for a Pingplotter test that doesn't route through Sweden.

If you were pinging the game server that you're having issues with and that twelve.net router is the problem then there is next to nothing that you can do about that. Note that routers are not obliged to reply to ping at all, nor are they obliged to reply in a timely manner. They may drop ping responses to the lowest QoS they offer for example. For these reasons ping is not a good measure of network performance.

View attachment 27543
Ah ok, the original screenshot was pinging the pingplotter server.

Below i've pinged all three of the server ip's Blizzard Europe use for their WoW servers apparently. I even had a complete internet drop on the last one.

Can someone help me make sense of this please?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah ok, the original screenshot was pinging the pingplotter server.

Below i've pinged all three of the server ip's Blizzard Europe use for their WoW servers apparently. I even had a complete internet drop on the last one.

Can someone help me make sense of this please?

Basically, and although there's nothing horribly wrong with those plots, you're experiencing congestion in the Internet. The link from you to Sky is fine in all cases and that's the only link you have any control over. The router at 195.66.236.234, which seems to be the start of most of what little delays you see there, is part of the London Link Exchange (LINKX) but is utterly beyond any influence or control from you.

You really need to run Pingplotter to the server you experience these long pings to and leave it running for long enough to capture one or two.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Basically, and although there's nothing horribly wrong with those plots, you're experiencing congestion in the Internet. The link from you to Sky is fine in all cases and that's the only link you have any control over. The router at 195.66.236.234, which seems to be the start of most of what little delays you see there, is part of the London Link Exchange (LINKX) but is utterly beyond any influence or control from you.

You really need to run Pingplotter to the server you experience these long pings to and leave it running for long enough to capture one or two.
Thank you for the help so far, apologies if this is a really silly question but how do i find out what the server is that i'm having issues with?

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Use whatever game server you have the long pings with.
Well this is the thing, it's not just the game now that this is happening with, i'm getting full disconnects from everything, Discord, Twitch, BBC News, Youtube and World Of Warcraft. I'm even getting a notification from my computer to tell me that i'm not connected to a network. In the last 3 hours i've had probably 3 or 4 spikes and 3 full disconnects one of which is shown here: https://i.gyazo.com/7f8eb6a6005fd475e0d73b25defb49a4.png