Need Help getting the most out of my cash

nick2077

I Need a new gaming laptop my MSI ge60 has served me very well but is not doing great anymore,

Im looking to spend £1200 but at max around £1500 if it means more years from the machine, it must be a laptop as i travel but i don't care on bulk or weight. i would go for a tower but everything has to be packed down for transit and a laptop is just easier to store in a moving vehicle.
i wish i knew more about all these parts but im getting overwhelmed by choice and what is worth spending more on for better gain.

Main uses are Gaming and 3d modeling (plus usual interwebz stuff) i always wear a headset so uber speakers and noise aren't a concern

at least a 17inch screen is required
and 1TB min storage

will be plugged in 90% of its time
please help me wise ones

i was looking at [a new Del G7 7700 17"] last year and my partner got it in a sale for £1299 so similar specs or better (its gone up since then)
[Link removed by ubuysa]

Last edited:

RicDin

Hello there. I am not quite sure if this build would suit you but here we go:

Chassis & Display
17,3" Defiance VII Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
I7-10875
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2

If you get it without an OS with the upgrade on thermal paste and Silver warranty it will be about 1399£.

Do you have any particular spec in mind, like an RTX 2070 or something? Because if you are willing to bump it to 1550£ you can get a 17.3'' Vyper with an RTX 2070 and better temperature management.

steaky360

@RicDin its much easier to make amendments if the link is included for the spec so the OP (and others) can make amendments as required.

nick2077

honestly i can bump up a bit, but over the £1500 is cry about it territory so if its worth doing for bit more future proofing on games then i feel i could go more. im honestly getting overwhelmed on things that could just be a simple upgrade for not much more thats going to give more life to the machine, for example i have had a good 12 years from my current MSI pushing the Nvidia 650m hard, that i spent a bit more on at the time and im glad i did, i dont understand not having an OS tho, her machine has the 2070 and is running everything greatly so i would like to match that at least,

her specs at £1299 1 year ago (bought on black Friday)

Graphics Card​

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6

Memory​

16GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x8G

Hard Drive​

1TB HDD (dont know model)
250GB SSD (dont know model)

Last edited:

RicDin

Thank you @steaky360. I'll bear it in mind going forward.

Whoa with those specs at that price I already regret having just bought a Recoil IV the other day.

The OS simply because you can buy it yourself possibly cheaper or transfer an existing license.

The RTX 2070 I'd say is a safe bet for longevity compared with the RTX 2060. I'd say improvements should be around 20% in most cases and equal in the worse cases.

But perhaps some other users will pitch in meanwhile with their views.

Last edited: