Need help, looking to upgrade but not sure which would suit it best

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
case really depends how confident you are at building but something like the corsair 4000D, cooling one of the corsair coolers, PSU 850W RMx

I'd advise you to sit down when you start adding this all up

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thought I'd put my two cents forward for what I'd recommend playing with

Case: I refuse to believe a case with a full mesh front and 4 included fans is bad for airflow. As a budget case, the build quality won't be the best and the fans might be a bit loud but this won't affect performance at all. If you like it, I'd leave it alone
RAM: AMD loves fast RAM so having 2666mhz RAM in there is likely hampering performance quite a bit. This is probably what I'd look at swapping out first, something like a 3200mhz kit would be ideal
Storage: A better setup could've been chosen but the one you have now isn't bad. Putting in a 500GB Gen 3 NVME SSD for Windows would do a lot to speed up the system (something like the Intel 670p would do a perfectly good job at this) then you can use the 500GB SATA SSD purely for storing games which will speed up load times a lot compared to HDD.
PSU: I'm surprised the configurator allowed you to have a 650W unit with a 6800XT. The CV unit is corsairs budget line and a 650W unit will be working pretty flat out. Something like the RM850X would be advisable. It won't improve performance but will extend the life of the system, I'd probably look at doing this with the RAM or very shortly after
CPU Cooler: Literally fine, again as a budget unit it might be a little loud but performance will be perfectly acceptable. The 5600X isn't a hot CPU and doesn't need a fancy £100 AIO to cool it
WiFi Card: Same as the cooler really, it's not the best, but if it's doing the job you need it to do, I wouldn't bother touching it.

TL: DR RAM and PSU are the areas I'd really focus on, then a storage upgrade after that. The rest of it is fine at the end of the day, it just could've been optimised better when buying

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Case: I refuse to believe a case with a full mesh front and 4 included fans is bad for airflow. As a budget case, the build quality won't be the best and the fans might be a bit loud but this won't affect performance at all. If you like it, I'd leave it alone
It's a common misconception with case design.

As you step up components on the interior, you have to step up airflow.

The fact that this case is a mesh design doesn't really mean much.

At the low end, you don't factor in the high end design tools like solidworks that do airflow analysis but cost a fortune, you literally just throw together a box that will accommodate the components. There just isn't the R&D work done to maximise airflow, that would end up putting the case price too high and price you out of the market.

When you're at the budget level with a case costing £20 - £50, you can't put in the high quality design fans that cost £25 a piece, those that are designed to very tight tolerances, exactly for the reason of moving higher volumes of air. You have to include the mass produced chinese market fans that cost a few dollars a piece.

Just buy a cheap everyday fan off amazon and compare the airflow to even a sickleback or something let alone the higher tier Noctua's or Corsairs, and you'll instantly tell the difference.

That's aside from the design internally that's done on the higher end products, where they factor in the airflow path using flow simulation, as putting a strut or something 2mm to the left can change or disrupt the airflow enormously. All that is factored in to the higher end cases. The cost is really not due to materials so much (obviously they play a part), it's more the R&D costs that need to be reclaimed.

It's not that it's a bad case by any means, that's not what I'm saying. But when you're factoring in a 6800XT, it's just not going to provide what's required.

Last edited:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's a common misconception with case design.

As you step up components on the interior, you have to step up airflow.

The fact that this case is a mesh design doesn't really mean much.

At the low end, you don't factor in the high end design tools like solidworks that do airflow analysis but cost a fortune, you literally just throw together a box that will accommodate the components. There just isn't the R&D work done to maximise airflow, that would end up putting the case price too high and price you out of the market.

When you're at the budget level with a case costing £20 - £50, you can't put in the high quality design fans that cost £25 a piece, those that are designed to very tight tolerances, exactly for the reason of moving higher volumes of air. You have to include the mass produced chinese market fans that cost a few dollars a piece.

Just buy a cheap everyday fan off amazon and compare the airflow to even a sickleback or something let alone the higher tier Noctua's or Corsairs, and you'll instantly tell the difference.

That's aside from the design internally that's done on the higher end products, where they factor in the airflow path using flow simulation, as putting a strut or something 2mm to the left can change or disrupt the airflow enormously. All that is factored in to the higher end cases. The cost is really not due to materials so much (obviously they play a part), it's more the R&D costs that need to be reclaimed.

It's not that it's a bad case by any means, that's not what I'm saying. But when you're factoring in a 6800XT, it's just not going to provide what's required.
Thanks for this explanation 👌