Need help on ram manual overclock please (not xmp method)

jossan143

Hello everyone, i have a z270e which i even updated to the latest bios from 0906 to 1203 today but still nothing. I have a i5 7600k and the ram i have is corsair vengeance lpx 2x4 and 2x8 2666mhz. I can manage a manual overclock to 3000mhz but anything past that and my computer fails to boot? Any suggestions?

jossan143

Ok, that is a shame i wanted to get it as high as possible, might seem pointless to you but from 2666 to 3000 i got big improvement for some of my games fps

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Oh I know RAM frequency helps a lot in some games. It doesn't seem pointless at all to me. But if you've hit a wall, then you've hit a wall, you can't overclock infinitely by magic.

Perhaps try an enthusiast overclocking forum. From what I've seen, this forum doesn't have much in the way of that knowledge. When asking for advice it will help them to help you if you say what exactly you've done to OC so far. What timings, voltage, etc you've set, what you've done to BCLK, or whatever.

jossan143

So if my 2666mhz ram can oc to 3000, dos that mean if i bought say 3000 i can get like 3600? Or is it to do with my mobo and cpu or some sort of hardware support? Anyway 3000 is good i guess thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There's no "guaranteed" overclock (beyond the XMP profile). I'm not sure exactly what limits how far beyond you can push waht it's rated to, CPU, mobo, maybe the individual kit of RAM you have.

With CPU's each and every chip can be a little different. GPUs too. Assume it's the same with RAM.

It could be that some RAM can be fairly easily OCed to the next XMP profile up from the one it's sold at by just adjusting the frequency and timings - perhaps this applies to yours. I heard my old RAM was overclockable in this way but couldn't get it to work.

jossan143

Ok, one last question, when i tried to get higher than 3000 i had 2x4gb and 2x8, if i took the 2x4 gb out and leave 2x8 in would it more likely work because of only 2 sticks instead of 4?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's possible. But no guarantees.

If you want to get into RAM overclocking I'd honestly suggest another forum - not to shoo you out of this one(!) but because it's quite niche and I think you'd get a lot more expertise on a dedicated overclocking forum. Maybe http://www.overclock.net/