Need help to check for any bottle necking I may have missed!

Bert

Hey guys, I am in the process of getting ready to order my new gaming PC.

Are the current choices I have made going to result in any performance bottle necking?
Namely, Will the Motherboard / cpu / gfx card / ram / cooling systems/ case fans / case / SSD all going to get along as a happy (no bottle necking) family? Would a small upgrade to one of these vastly improve the over all performance?

Case COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE (GREEN)
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-5820K (3.3GHz @ MAX 4.4GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® X99-A: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (not sure if this is overkill, says I only need 650, but was worried that overclocking of anything else in future such as the gfx card, or adding a sound card etc would need the extra?)
Processor Cooling Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans 2x 120mm Apache Black Quiet Fan (fitted to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

I also had a worry as to if the overclocked CPU would be sufficiently cooled by a CPU fan (plus thermal paste) and 2 internal fans?

I also hope it all fits in the bloody case!

Any insight would greatly be appreciate people, as well as a brief explanation on any points you make.

Hope you're having a great weekend

All the best

Rob

Bert

People keep saying about the 6700k. Why is that, can you explain how it is better?

Also is there a 6700k overclocking option on this website?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
People keep saying about the 6700k. Why is that, can you explain how it is better?

You can check benchmarks online for gaming between different CPUs, just for gaming 32gb is also overkill and over clocking is not really essential for gaming

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED

Yes... You can either go for the 5xxxk series as you have done or the 6xxxk series. The 5s are for video editors really. Clearly it won't halt you're gaming... But you're paying for cores that are best utilised for other things.

Bert

My understanding is that with Direct x 11 only one core talks directly to Gfx card. But with Direct x 12 all the cores can talk to it at once. Also with games like Total war - Warhammer or Arma 3 it gives high CPU loads that more cores can deal with better.

Is this correct? Or have I misread something?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Is this correct? Or have I misread something?
That's the theory. There aren't many Dx12 games yet, and of those that there are most of them are said to not be a very great implementation of DX12 anyway. There's Ashes where DX12 can give big yields for AMD GPUs, but then Hitman and Rise of the Tomb Raider where performance differences are more limited and in the case of TR actually seem to go down. There's also the question of how studios will bother to optimise their GPUs

In practice with DX11 this is the difference:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu

In the DX12 for WHTW: http://wccftech.com/total-war-warhammer-dx12-tested-gpu-cpu/
In addition to GPU performance we wanted to evaluate current CPU performance as well. We noticed that this game does utilize all available cores well, but interestingly it did not translate to higher FPS on the AMD CPUs.
<snip>
As far as CPUs go, I was expecting to see better performance out of the FX 8350 as both the 6 core variant and the A10 7890k matched it in performance on this benchmark. By contrast, we see the i7 take a significant step back when all 8 threads aren’t available, but without being able to properly test the i5 I’m not able to make a conclusion whether that’s a thread issue or a core issue.

So you'd be paying probably quite a bit more for the promise of something that hasn't been realised yet, while enjoying a little less performance in the meantime. Either way, it's a decision. :)

Aha, finally found an Ashes CPU bench: (ashes being the one that everyone raves about as being a great DX12 title)
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ted-Ashes-Singularity-Benchmark/Results-Heavy
At a glance, the 6700k seems to outperform the 8-core 5960x i7. The gap is a bit smaller than at DX11, but still, it's not really making the case for a multi-core i7.

Further edit: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/ashes-of-the-singularity-directx-12-amd-nvidia/5/
It seems that DX12 improves the 5820k a little more than it does the 6700k, though there are big ish benefits for both, but the 6700k still wins out.

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
I've been doing a lot of monitoring lately and the most system RAM I've seen used is a smidge over 8GB. So I conclude that 16GB RAM for gaming is verily plenty.

Last edited: