Need help with my new SSD

oli090

Enthusiast
I have recently got my new 240gb hyperx ssd. It came with everything i needed but unfortunately due to lack of Sata power cables from my pc I cant have my HDD, SSD and disk drive working at the same time. I have my HDD with my boot and games and is about 320gb used. I got a disk with my SSD but it says it moves everything from your HDD to your new SSD and i dont want that, even if i did i cant use my disk drive anymore so i cant use that. I want my SSD to have only my OS (Windows 7) and have my HDD as a storage drive. Can i just move my OS to my SSD and use it as boot drive or do i need to somehow get the disk working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to sort this issue out tonight so :D

oli090

Enthusiast
Becuase of the wires i have in my case i can use 2 hard drives or 1 hard drive and disk drive. Hard drive case slot thing is at the bottom and disk drive is right at the top. I have sata cables and is nothing to do with that.

However do i need to use this disk i got with my SSD to "clone" my drive?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You cannot clone your drive if it exceeds the capacity of your SSD or at least that's what I think.

oli090

Enthusiast
Ok so ive just gone through and put almost everything on my HDD on to my external HDD that i "dont need" on my ssd boot drive, i have cleaned out my program files of games i never play. Now if you go on computer and click properties it says used 110gb, when i go into the folder and highlight everything and click properties it says 91gb, i know it fits but i want my SSD as empty as i can.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Becuase of the wires i have in my case i can use 2 hard drives or 1 hard drive and disk drive. Hard drive case slot thing is at the bottom and disk drive is right at the top. I have sata cables and is nothing to do with that.

I'm sorry, but why can't you only two use to sata devices? that just doesn't make sense to me.

What spec have you got mate?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
You do realise you'll have to go out and buy another Sata cable if you bought an SSD from a standard retailer... I made a quick trip to PC World, got a cheap sata, took the 6gb/s out of my disk drive and plugged it into my ssd, kept the other 6gb/s in my standard HDD and then plugged the cheap sata into my disk drive. No problems at all.

oli090

Enthusiast
I sorted this out sorry for not saying here, i rep'd the two lads who helped. It wasnt any problems as such, just i wanted to do something then cant be done. I got the hyperx upgrade kit so it came with everything needed :)