Need help with specs, and what monitor to get please

ramspectrum

Technically, HDMI 2.1 trumps DP 1.4 but I myself would personally always stick with the DisplayPort standard as the waters have been muddied with HDMI recently…

The monitor you’ve picked isn’t a bad shout but with the budget you’ve got it may be worth waiting for one of these bad boys to come back into stock…

As for the controller, standard Xbox pad would work well or you could treat yourself to the Elite version. The Razer Wolverine range are also quite highly rated although the best models aren’t wireless which puts some people off.
Looking at that monitor you posted, it looks great.
I saw this

HDMI 2.1​

• HDMI 1.4 - 10.2 Gbps
  • HDMI 2.0 - 18 Gbps
  • HDMI 2.1 - 48 Gbps
So would you still use a 1.4?
Wouldn't the 2.1 be better?
I am sure it comes with all the cables anyway.

Shame it is not in stock in the UK
Is it better than the one I have already bookmarked?

I book marked the Xbox Elite series 2 and the Razer Wolverine V2.
Not sure which one to get, I am not bothered it being wired.
I am more concerned about quality, I had to return about 4 PS5 controllers since it came out, when they got a sticky/mushy button, and I had hardly used that button, touch wood, the one I have now is fine.
I heard others having the same problem, so I think the first batch that was sent out was faulty.

Thanks AgentCooper

ramspectrum

OK, so nearly ready to order my mean machine, but the response I got was not to order the Arctic thermal paste as it might disrupt the already good cooling system.
Also, which monitor would you go for, and why?
Specs here:

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700K (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
Get Monster Hunter: Rise & more with select Intel® Core™ Processors
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
PCS ARGB GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7300MB/R, 6900MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Keyboard & Mouse
Corsair Bundle - K55 RGB PRO Keyboard & M55 PRO Mouse
Webcam
Logitech® HD Webcam C920 - 1080p recording & 720p video calling
Surge Protection
6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH

DarTon

There are currently two major panel types available for 32" 4k monitors: Innolux and AU Optronics. The Innolux panels are HDR400 and the AU Optronics panels are HDR600. In reality, however, the HDR rating is irrelevant because neither have effective local dimming. The real difference is that the Innolux panels have better response times while the AU Optronic panels have a wider colour gamut.

Now, the Acer is an Innolux panel. At £799 though, you might aswell just buy the Gigabyte M32U for £729 which is the same panel and save £70. The MSI is an AU Optronics panel and is probably the best of those panels (better than the Asus PG32UQ which is the same panel).

Which is better is a matter of priorities. Do you want response times or colour gamut? I've got a M32U which I bought at £675. The MSI wasn't available at the time. If I was choosing now I'd go with the MSI but I'm not that price sensitive. Whether it's actually worth £170 over the M32U is questionable.

ramspectrum

There are currently two major panel types available for 32" 4k monitors: Innolux and AU Optronics. The Innolux panels are HDR400 and the AU Optronics panels are HDR600. In reality, however, the HDR rating is irrelevant because neither have effective local dimming. The real difference is that the Innolux panels have better response times while the AU Optronic panels have a wider colour gamut.

Now, the Acer is an Innolux panel. At £799 though, you might aswell just buy the Gigabyte M32U for £729 which is the same panel and save £70. The MSI is an AU Optronics panel and is probably the best of those panels (better than the Asus PG32UQ which is the same panel).

Which is better is a matter of priorities. Do you want response times or colour gamut? I've got a M32U which I bought at £675. The MSI wasn't available at the time. If I was choosing now I'd go with the MSI but I'm not that price sensitive. Whether it's actually worth £170 over the M32U is questionable.
Great, thanks for the advice. What about the thermal paste over Arctic paste, baring in mind I will have the Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler installed. I was advised not to bother getting the arctic, as if done slightly wrong, it might affect the performance of the iCUE in doing its job?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Great, thanks for the advice. What about the thermal paste over Arctic paste, baring in mind I will have the Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler installed. I was advised not to bother getting the arctic, as if done slightly wrong, it might affect the performance of the iCUE in doing its job?
Have a look at the image below, that’s the section where the pre-applied thermal paste from Corsair is and it’s a thing of beauty.

DF9C2250-3C22-4815-878D-8D52CA2E719F.jpeg

In order to apply the MX-4, someone has to scrape that stuff away and then manually add a blob of it to the back of your CPU. Whilst it’s unlikely you’d get a bad paste job it can happen and even with a good one it’s not going to be any better than the pic above. To quote my granddad, ‘you’d be sticking your nose in looking for trouble where there is none’

ramspectrum

Have a look at the image below, that’s the section where the pre-applied thermal paste from Corsair is and it’s a thing of beauty.

View attachment 32955

In order to apply the MX-4, someone has to scrape that stuff away and then manually add a blob of it to the back of your CPU. Whilst it’s unlikely you’d get a bad paste job it can happen and even with a good one it’s not going to be any better than the pic above. To quote my granddad, ‘you’d be sticking your nose in looking for trouble where there is none’
I understand now. I am no expert, that's why this forum is so helpful. Normal paste it is then. Going to go with that new MSI monitor too. :)