Need new AC adaptor

omens

Gold Level Poster
So the wire coming out of the adaptor is now starting to fray and spark, which means the adaptor is buggered. Looking at my Vortex II, I need a 220W AC Adapter.

If I go into my account and then into "my spare parts", it's out of stock.

The closest I can see on the other laptops on the website is 230W adaptor. The other laptops seem to have either 180W or 300+W adaptors.

What should I do?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Generally the things you need to get right with a new AC adapter are:

1. The output voltage. This will be printed on the back of your existing adapter. Your new adapter must deliver exactly the same voltage.

2. The wattage (and thus the maximum current it can deliver). This will also be printed on the back of your existing adapter. Your new adapter can have a larger wattage than your existing one but it must not be smaller.

3. The laptop connector type. There are an almost infinite variety and it's vital that the connector on the new adapter is a proper fit in your laptop.

4. The polarity. This will be shown on the back of your existing adapter. On mine for example the centre conductor is +ve and the outer conductor is -ve, but yours might be different. Your new adapter must be exactly the same polarity as the old one.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

omens

Gold Level Poster
Mine (a Clevo Optimus IV) has a totally different plug to the one in this adapter, is that the right fitting for your laptop?

On mine polarity is shown on the back as you can see in the attached picture.

My Vortex II adapter has four pins, top two for ground and bottom two for +/-.

omens

Gold Level Poster
Just spoken to them. Was supposed to have been in stock on the 20th of last month but not in as of yet. Have to wait for further info at the mo.

Contemplating buying the one I linked to.

omens

Gold Level Poster
Well I've been in contact with the FSP group in the UK and they state they don't have any stock either. They're trying the base in Germany to see if there's any stock.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the delay in the charger Omens, off the top of my head none of the current laptop series use that charger and we get them direct from China (hense the delay).

Merry Christmas.

omens

Gold Level Poster
Completely understand but it's just a PITA that I can't use my laptop until an indeterminate time in the future. It's also something that other laptop users might need to be aware of - if your charger goes/no longer manufactured, you're stuck with a paperweight.