Need some Advice about a recent crash

kurtburt

Hi Everyone,
Last night when launching a game my screen went black and the GPU fans went into overdrive. I had to hold the power button to turn off. When I rebooted it happened again. I turned it off and left it for 5 mins then its been running fine no problem.

Any idea as to what might've happened? It seems like the GPU was overheating but ive never had any issues before . I only got the PC from here 6 months ago, I havn't installed/changed anything and only play the same game and its been fine up until now

kurtburt

Case FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE: DDR4, USB 3.1 - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That doesn't sound like an over-temp, it sounds like a load crash to be honest. When you have been loading the game, it's crashed mid-process. The default action in such cases, for the most part, is to max out all fans during the crash.

If you're worried about temps load up HWmonitor and just leave it running while gaming etc. Once finished with your session, check the maximum temps on the CPU and the GPU.

kurtburt

The first crash it had actually loaded up but only lasted 2 minutes. The second time it crashed on launch.
Seems to be ok now but worried me as ive not changed anything and only had it 6 months!

kurtburt

Ok its happened again, but this time it wasnt related to a game. I just had facebook open and the system was idle while i was on my phone and i looked up and the screen went black and GPU fans instantly shot up to 100%. Had to hold the power button down to switch off and restart.
Interestingly the mouse didnt work when it started up, i had to unplug and reinsert it, not sure if thats relevant.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Could be a driver causing the issue or even a hardware fault.

I would download a fresh copy of Windows from M$ and perform a full, clean, install of Windows. From there you can be sure that there is nothing conflicting. Once installed, download and install the latest Chipset drivers from Gigabyte, install the GPU drivers from Nvidia and repeat the Windows update as many times as it will let you until there are no updates left.

After this is done, download and run Memtest - This will check your RAM for errors. When instructions are allocated to degraded memory it can cause crashes.

After this, if you still get issues then it's likely a hardware fault. At which point there will be no option but to send it back to PCS. It's worthwhile doing LOADS of testing to see if you can replicate the error so that you can let PCS know what sort of parameters to check the system with.

kurtburt

Hmm ok. If it happens again thats my next step. As for drivers I did install the latest ones for Nvida after the first 2 crashes but i guess that didnt have an effect

Charlas

Enthusiast
If it happens again have a look in the windows/system part of eventviewer (why no one nowadays knows it exists is beyond me 😊)

That will show a warning (red) showing exactly what crashed on you, let us know and we can work it out, sounds like a kernel mode failure somewhere, most likely gpu driver

Talked someone else through it here