Need some help with my router / wireless network please?

Bsrz

Rising Star
Hello all, currently I have the bt wireless home hub v2.0 downstairs, my xbox one ps4 and sky are all upstairs and are getting very bad connection - lots of lag and slow download speeds, my pc is hooked up via ethernet to the hub and is fine. I was wondering if running a Ethernet cable from downstairs were the internet enters the house to upstairs and moving the router into the room were the pc xbox one, sky and ps4 are located would improve my problems? I could also get short 2-3m Ethernet cables and plug them into the hub if upstairs and just have a single Ethernet cable going to the internet entry socket.

hope this makes sense and some advice can be given, because my connection is unbearable atm, also note that fibre is in the area but not available at my house so I have to deal with standard broadband for now.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Instead of cabling the network upstairs, you could run homeplugs, have one connected to the router and one upstairs to deal with your connections. Be much simpler and just as effective. They have homeplugs that can create WiFi zones on the receiver also should you wish to keep it wireless.

Bsrz

Rising Star
Instead of cabling the network upstairs, you could run homeplugs, have one connected to the router and one upstairs to deal with your connections. Be much simpler and just as effective. They have homeplugs that can create WiFi zones on the receiver also should you wish to keep it wireless.

cabling the network upstairs would be easier than using home plugs since I would just use the existing cat6 cable from my pc. and buy some shorter Ethernet cables for the ps4 sky and xbox one.

just wondering if it would make a difference?

steaky360

I've essentially done the same thing in my house, I've ran an Ethernet cable from the master socket through to the living room which has my router in. I don't know if I'm experiencing a loss of speed doing this though I didn't test it beforehand (the master socket has 0 plug sockets near it).

So in theory it should work, if you don't mind the additional cables then wiring up the consoles might be better than wireless, but once you have the router upstairs I would guess it shouldn't matter.