need some monitor suggestions please, looked at many, cant decide

leea123

Enthusiast
I still can't decide what to get, I want a min size of 32 inches max 42 inches. I don't mind if 4k or 1440p would like it to work with Gsync,
My GPU is the 3080 and will upgrade to a 4080 on the next build and am moving away from Ultrawide for a bit. Not concerned about getting a solid 120fps as i know that would not really happen with 4k and I do not play fast-paced shooters, I play more RPG games and like good quality visuals, and getting set up for Starfield release, and no confirmation if that will even support ultrawide and can't be bothered anymore with that question. It stopped me from buying Elden ring .

So here I am looking for suggestions My budget is up to £1000 roughly. Hope you can help. The best 1440p i found so far for me was Samsung g7 that says gsync compatible. Not really been able to locate a good 4k to consider yet .

please help :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I still can't decide what to get, I want a min size of 32 inches max 42 inches. I don't mind if 4k or 1440p would like it to work with Gsync,
My GPU is the 3080 and will upgrade to a 4080 on the next build and am moving away from Ultrawide for a bit. Not concerned about getting a solid 120fps as i know that would not really happen with 4k and I do not play fast-paced shooters, I play more RPG games and like good quality visuals, and getting set up for Starfield release, and no confirmation if that will even support ultrawide and can't be bothered anymore with that question. It stopped me from buying Elden ring .

So here I am looking for suggestions My budget is up to £1000 roughly. Hope you can help. The best 1440p i found so far for me was Samsung g7 that says gsync compatible. Not really been able to locate a good 4k to consider yet .

please help :)
At your budget, I'd definitely try to aim for an OLED panel, some are above budget, but I'm going to list them anyway as we're coming up to big sales events and you may find one at a bargain.

Just so you're aware, Freesync or GSync both work nowadays with either GPU team. GSync compatible is just freesync that nvidia have personally branded as being good enough in their eyes

ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ -

Now, it's currently around the £1300 mark, but if you time it well, you may be able to find an open box option, or even something in a sale that hits within or just over budget. There is one open box unit currently on Amazon at £1077 which states " a small imperfection less than 1" x 1" on the front of the panel) which could be tragic, but I quite often pick up amazon warehouse deals and 9 times out of 10, there's absolutely nothing wrong when I check damage against the description. You would also have the option to return it without any issue, so just listing in case it may be worth a try.

It's a stunning monitor.

leea123

Enthusiast
At your budget, I'd definitely try to aim for an OLED panel, some are above budget, but I'm going to list them anyway as we're coming up to big sales events and you may find one at a bargain.

Just so you're aware, Freesync or GSync both work nowadays with either GPU team. GSync compatible is just freesync that nvidia have personally branded as being good enough in their eyes

ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ -

Now, it's currently around the £1300 mark, but if you time it well, you may be able to find an open box option, or even something in a sale that hits within or just over budget. There is one open box unit currently on Amazon at £1077 which states " a small imperfection less than 1" x 1" on the front of the panel) which could be tragic, but I quite often pick up amazon warehouse deals and 9 times out of 10, there's absolutely nothing wrong when I check damage against the description. You would also have the option to return it without any issue, so just listing in case it may be worth a try.

It's a stunning monitor.
Thank you very much, will take a look at that later today, thank you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not a gaming monitor per se, but would the 43" LG OLED smartTV be an option for all that real estate ;)
Ironically most of the new top tier gaming monitors are now around the 48" Mark, which is quite mental although I say the bigger the better!

The LG OLED tvs are very good for gaming too, be careful though as it used to be the case that the smaller panels were only 60hz and it was only once you stepped up to the 50" that they were 120hz. That's based on old information though so they may well have changed it.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ironically most of the new top tier gaming monitors are now around the 48" Mark, which is quite mental although I say the bigger the better!

The LG OLED tvs are very good for gaming too, be careful though as it used to be the case that the smaller panels were only 60hz and it was only once you stepped up to the 50" that they were 120hz. That's based on old information though so they may well have changed it.
Mine is a 48CX from 2020 and is 120Hz with VRR, Gsync/Freesync and game mode...that's when I realised it's too big as a computer monitor and is best as a nice bedroom/Xbox gaming TV.

I also believe some of the lower B- or A- class models at the time had slower refresh rates and slower/older chips which made the OS really laggy. Don't know how much this has changed since then...but £1k was enough and I wasn't going to pay £10k for the equivalent GX model.

Strangely, I noticed a 42" C2 stating 'native 100hz' - with 120hz gaming mode...so must be some overdrive setting.

leea123

Enthusiast

ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ -

It's a stunning monitor.
took a look, and love it, I see there is a 38-inch version on Amazon as well. I think the 38 would be more than big enough for the desk, also it is very close to the budget as well, my mind is made up, just going to look around to see any deals going on the 38-inch model. Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
took a look, and love it, I see there is a 38-inch version on Amazon as well. I think the 38 would be more than big enough for the desk, also it is very close to the budget as well, my mind is made up, just going to look around to see any deals going on the 38-inch model. Thanks
The PG38 is actually an entirely different monitor, it's a fast IPS which is about 2 tiers down from OLED, can't do anywhere near the same HDR experience.

With LED or IPS, they have backlights which are the lights that light up the pixel. They don't have one light per pixel, they have lighting zones, that panel has 2304 lighting zones, which is ok for IPS

As such it's only 600Nits peak brightness which is the very entry level requirement to be HDR capable. It also can't turn off individual pixels, so it has to turn off the area around it, or rather light up that zone where say a mouse is going across, as such you get an effect called "blooming" where you get a surrounding area to the bright pixels where the backlight comes through.

An OLED panel however, each individual pixel lights itself, so there is no backlight. As such you can actually have that individual pixel fully off, rather than just dimming that zones backlight. It's HDR700 which is still not amazing, but when you're factoring in every pixel is a dimming zone, you'll get far higher contrast, much much deeper blacks and faster colour switching.

But obviously the price is going to be a heavy factor.

leea123

Enthusiast
The PG38 is actually an entirely different monitor, it's a fast IPS which is about 2 tiers down from OLED, can't do anywhere near the same HDR experience.

With LED or IPS, they have backlights which are the lights that light up the pixel. They don't have one light per pixel, they have lighting zones, that panel has 2304 lighting zones, which is ok for IPS

As such it's only 600Nits peak brightness which is the very entry level requirement to be HDR capable. It also can't turn off individual pixels, so it has to turn off the area around it, or rather light up that zone where say a mouse is going across, as such you get an effect called "blooming" where you get a surrounding area to the bright pixels where the backlight comes through.

An OLED panel however, each individual pixel lights itself, so there is no backlight. As such you can actually have that individual pixel fully off, rather than just dimming that zones backlight. It's HDR700 which is still not amazing, but when you're factoring in every pixel is a dimming zone, you'll get far higher contrast, much much deeper blacks and faster colour switching.

But obviously the price is going to be a heavy factor.
ak ok thank you, looks like it's the 42 inch, got a buyer for the old monitor, so that's 450 towards it anyway. Thank you for posting before i ordered

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ak ok thank you, looks like it's the 42 inch, got a buyer for the old monitor, so that's 450 towards it anyway. Thank you for posting before i ordered
Oh wow, that's promising.

Don't get me wrong, the 38 is bound to be great, but it's a very different monitor technology.

5 years ago, panel technology went:

IPS (Top tier, wasn't as response times, but excelled in colour depth and viewing angles. Suffered from burn in and bright spots

VA (The cheaper IPS cousin) faster response times, better for competitive players), suffered from ghosting

TN (Budget) Was generally poor in most areas, poor response times, pretty awful colours, was only strict budget

Now it's

OLED (Top tier) excels in many areas, especially good in HDR because every Pixel is its own back-light. Best contrast ratio (difference between light and dark from one pixel to the next). Early models suffered from burn in but they have new tech to mitigate this now.

Nano LED / Micro LED (Both the same thing used by different companies). The best competitor to OLED in HDR performance, tend to have far higher number of backlight zones as they're much smaller bulbs. Great performance generally. But at 4k, they seem to have skipped Nano LED entirely and gone primarily for OLEDs. These are mainly found at high refresh 1440p competitive level.

Fast IPS (The new IPS) Best response times, great for competitive gamers at high refresh (240Hz and above), otherwise, they're more mid range these days.

VA (is now the modern budget level) Technology hasn't changed at all, still the same strengths and drawbacks.

TN - you do still find old models that never sold, but should be avoided at any cost. Only really any good for like a basic office monitor.