Neighbour Blocking FTTP Installation

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Interestly though, I've done some research and found that the company can apply to the courts if the neighboyr refuses the wayleave.
If you can get that in writing you might want to approach your neighbour with it. If he's potentially facing a court case over the wayleave then that might well delay his ability to complete on the sale. Ask him whether a small hole in a concrete drive is worth the risk of fouling up his sale?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@ubyusa

I had tactfully suggested that the company could take him to court and his response was that they can if they want.

However after a discussion with me he said that he'd ask the new owners and that he'd need their permission. They haven't formally sold the yet, but his reasoning was that they could complain about a patch being on the drive as it wasnt there when they viewed the property. Which I can kinda understand.

Last he told me was that the new owners are in agreement providing the hole is small etc and the blockage for cables to be fitted to their property are cleared. So I'm hoping that whenever the cable fitters return it goes smoothly and he's not awkward.

Hes a manager for a housing association, so he seems to or atleast thinks he knows everything housing related.

The frustrating thing for me is that a neighbour can have the say so on what services I can access in my house.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Last he told me was that the new owners are in agreement providing the hole is small etc and the blockage for cables to be fitted to their property are cleared. So I'm hoping that whenever the cable fitters return it goes smoothly and he's not awkward.
That sounds positive. I would tell him you've been assured that the hole will be small and properly filled. Once they've started it's too late and he can hardly sue you for damage to his drive that was caused by the contractors.
Hes a manager for a housing association, so he seems to or atleast thinks he knows everything housing related.
I know the type.
The frustrating thing for me is that a neighbour can have the say so on what services I can access in my house.
I don't think it's that uncommon - but that's what the courts are for.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hi all.

Just a little update to my saga. (Incase any one was interested)

So the engineers came back out this week and I had a good chat with one of the guys.

The guy had a chat with my neighbour and he wasn't keen on allowing them to dig the hole to fix the ducting. However the engineer suggested to him that they could put my fibre optic cable through his ducting and direct the cable straight to my house. His ducting comes out less than half a foot over the boundary and it turns out the two ductings are separate.

The neighbour had originally refused this, but he reluctantly agreed, as it was less invasive than the drive being dug up.

The engineer checked his ducting and it was clear. The neighbour signed a wayleave form allowing them to use his ducting.

So i'm waiting on the cable guys to fit the cable and then get it installed in the house on Saturday. So good news.

Interestingly, when I was having a chat with the engineer he explained that fibre companies are considered to be ultility companies and they are allowed access for works etc. He also said that if the neighbour (or anyone else for the matter) refused they wouldn't need to go to court and they just apply to the local authority, who would say yes anyway. It was his opinion that no person can prevent anyone else accessing their services.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all.

So the engineers came back out this week and I had a good chat with one of the guys.

The guy had a chat with my neighbour and he wasn't keen on allowing them to dig the hole to fix the ducting. However the engineer suggested to him that they could put my fibre optic cable through his ducting and direct the cable straight to my house. His ducting comes out less than half a foot over the boundary and it turns out the two ductings are separate.

The neighbour had originally refused this, but he reluctantly agreed, as it was less invasive than the drive being dug up.

The engineer checked his ducting and it was clear. The neighbour signed a wayleave form allowing them to use his ducting.

So i'm waiting on the cable guys to fit the cable and then get it installed in the house on Saturday. So good news.

Interestingly, when I was having a chat with the engineer he explained that fibre companies are considered to be ultility companies and they are allowed access for works etc. He also said that if the neighbour (or anyone else for the matter) refused they wouldn't need to go to court and they just apply to the local authority, who would say yes anyway. It was his opinion that no person can prevent anyone else accessing their services.
That’s such good news 👍🏼

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep great to hear. Common sense prevails.

It does make me wonder what (or who?) your neighbour has buried under their drive..... [emoji848]
91CxnEkpvaL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi all.

Good to hear it's getting sorted

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hahha as far as I know it's just tarmac. There's nothing underneath it.

The engineer was telling me the builders probably bodged the ducting when the house was built. He was showing me pictures of bodged ducting on brand new houses.

I would have preferred to be able to use my own ducting, as the cable would have gone up the side of my house rather than the front. But it's important to compromise.

I've never had more than 30-35mbps before, so 1000 will be amazing! Also means I need get a new pc. Still rocking my pcs system from 2011!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

The engineer was telling me the builders probably bodged the ducting when the house was built. He was showing me pictures of bodged ducting on brand new houses.

I would have preferred to be able to use my own ducting, as the cable would have gone up the side of my house rather than the front. But it's important to compromise.

I've never had more than 30-35mbps before, so 1000 will be amazing! Also means I need get a new pc. Still rocking my pcs system from 2011!
That sounds an excellent plan (y) :unsure:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

1Tb connection..... that's going to be insane!