Neophye to Novice - daft questions

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
:taz:

Help.

I have found the issue with my speakers ( connected to wrong port) but I tunes does not seam to play from them?

also Cortana - you need a microphone to use this is there any way to change the voice? don't always like siri's voice recognition but the voice is better.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
No idea about Cortana as I do my level best to disable it.
I have found the issue with my speakers ( connected to wrong port) but I tunes does not seam to play from them?
Having multiple audio outputs (e.g. speakers plugged into your PC with a 3.5mm jack into the front headphones / rear audio out of the PC, and speakers built into your monitor connected to your PC with DP/HDMI) can occasionally lead to little quirks like Windows forgetting which you wanted to use as the default, or programs using one instead of the other. Not sure if that's what's happening to you but it sounds like it could be.

You can set the PC's default playback device here: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...ndows-Default-Playback-Recording-Audio-Device
Or a quicker way in modern Windows 10 versions: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows-10-change-audio-playback-device/
Changing the default device sometimes won't apply to a program until you've closed it completely and then run it again

You can also sometimes select a specific playback device for a program within that program's settings.

A lazy solution when you have speakers plugged into the PC, and speakers built into your monitor, and Windows gets confused (if that's what's happening to you), is to just plug the speakers into the headphones port on the monitor. Then your monitor becomes the only playback device, and it treats your speakers as if they were your monitor's speakers. At least that's what I did for a long while...

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Thanks. it was a case of closing to program and re opening.

So as mentioned in another thread I brought a new monitor AOC G2460 - when buying it PC world/curries if responsible for the first years warranty but it's said that there should be a 3 year warranty. how do you register this?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You don't always need to register a product to access the warranty. You should always keep your proof of purchase (receipt etc).

To register a product you generally do so on a manufacturer's website. I see AOC have registration for their US site, but this section applies only to US customers and I don't see an equivalent one on the EU site (warranty policies and requires can vary according to region).

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
How do you remove the bulldog trial? when I went to accept it said I had already had the trial so I just loaded the mcCaffey that comes with my broad band. how do remove the trial stuff?

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Thanks.

Seams like I solve one issue and find 2 more.

PVsZ:GW2 - Manuel is supposed to be on line. try to save or load it and on word its gibberish and if I try opening in internet explore nothing happens!!

Plugging in old headset with jack for headphones and a mic - not sure I am plugging this into the right place. mic is recognised but not head phones.

And on a further note - plugged in old usb game controller and it's recognised but there the ! mark by it what does this mean? how do I get it recognised?
tried PS controller is recognised but does not seam to work with PVsZ:GW2 hope it may work if I turn of and on again later.

Last edited:

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

follow up / reiterated question. (found game Manuel)

the seams to be jacks on both the front and pack of the computer how do you know which audio jacks to use for head set and mic?

can you advice is there a reason PlayStation controller does not work in PvS:GW2?

what's the best way to transfer files from old PC to new? do you have to transfer these onto other device?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
what's the best way to transfer files from old PC to new? do you have to transfer these onto other device?
The easiest way is generally to use an external HDD, copy what you want off the old PC, and then copy it off the external drive to the new system.

can you advice is there a reason PlayStation controller does not work in PvS:GW2?
You may need to install drivers for the controller: https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/47ma3d/controller_support_for_pc/

However I saw a couple of topics where people were saying you'd be at a competitive disadvantage vs using a keyboard and mouse:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenW...y/can_you_play_garden_warfare_2_on_pc_with_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/47ma3d/controller_support_for_pc/

the seams to be jacks on both the front and pack of the computer how do you know which audio jacks to use for head set and mic?
Either the front or rear ones should be fine.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The ones at the front tend to have tiny little icons embossed onto the plastic:
casetop.jpg
with the headphones and microphone icons both in white there.

At the back of the motherboard, green is usually for headphones and red is usually for the mic. There might also be icons engraved into the I/O plate.

Motherboard manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/H110M-R/E11428_H110M-R_UM_V2_WEB.pdf (diagram of the rear connectors on pg 1-5)

Last edited:

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

thanks for help. another question. windows 10 does not have dvd player? do you have to get an app for the which ones best?

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

when in insert dvd it asked me to get an app to open it. tried opening via film and tv thing looked like it was about selling you videos. and getting it to look at the storage it said there were not video files? do downloading the program you use.

raise another question. most programs default to being saved on the C drive (SSD) should I change that and load some non essential things to the D drive?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

when in insert dvd it asked me to get an app to open it. tried opening via film and tv thing looked like it was about selling you videos. and getting it to look at the storage it said there were not video files? do downloading the program you use.

raise another question. most programs default to being saved on the C drive (SSD) should I change that and load some non essential things to the D drive?

Both the windows apps are for streaming or downloaded material from the windows store, won't play dvd's.

VLC is the best free option out there for dvd playback.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ah, never used it so was just assuming it would do that.. because why wouldn't it :/

I would just install the programs onto the C Drive. That's what the SSD's for.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, never used it so was just assuming it would do that.. because why wouldn't it :/

I would just install the programs onto the C Drive. That's what the SSD's for.

I would agree, there should be plenty of room for all programs, things to watch out for are cloud drives like one drive etc as they will default to c: drive, worth moving those across to the data drive.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
C: D: and desktop. The link on desktop to my pictures documents ect is all linked to C drive? if so how would you like it to the d drive?

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
This I have answer my on question. do into properties and change the location. May have done ths worng with video fold. how do I check?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74942-move-location-pictures-folder-windows-10-a.html

As for checking, you can just open File Explorer, right click on the library name, click properties, and it will say where it lives.
checking.png

One thing to note - Shadowplay, if you start using that, will use Videos as a default location. You may prefer it to keep the shadow copy and saves location on the SSD. You can manually set those locations in shadowplay's settings.

Last edited: