Network adaptor problem

Grumple

Got my PC a few weeks ago and have noticed that my internet is considerebly slower on the PC than my other PC's, I concluded that it's the wireless adaptor causing the problem. Does anyone know what could be wrong? as soon as I got the PC i just connected the antennas and went on the internet.

Also, the adaptors an ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD/ Edimax EW-7612PIn Wireless PCI-Express Adapter. Thanks for reading :)

Oh and I should mention that it worked okay for a while, only just noticed it screwing up.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
These might sound silly but its worth ruling them out first.

Whats the signal strength like?
Is this pc further away from the router than your other pc's?
Are their more walls/stuff in the way between your pc and the router than other pc's you have?
Have you moved the PC or the router?
Have you done a speed test to see what speed your actualy getting and compared it to other pc's you have?

Grumple

Yeah, tried the speed tests after noticing my new PC was slower, got 6mbps on the laptop, 1mbps on this. Although now it seems the connections have swapped over? (My laptop having 1 and this PC having 6) not sure why, possibly a wireless channel problem
The signal strength through windows says it's full connection but the app for the edimax card says 3.
I used my laptop and placed it next to this PC to test it.
And I could probably do with moving the router a little as it's on the floor of the other side of the house, probably the worst place I could put it seen as i'm upstairs lol. But still, shouldn't only affect one PC.

Thanks for the reply btw :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If it's also affecting the laptop then you can be sure its nothing to do with your network card in the pc.

Wireless can be messed up by a whole lot of things, you can try switch to a different channel on your router to avoid interference from various things like cordless phones. Another thing to note is that often you wont get a uniform signal strength over even a fairly open room especially once you get further from the router.

You could change to something like homeplugs which use the electric sockets in your house to make a sort of wired network, i have no experiance of them but have seen people recommend them on here before. Wired networks are more stable than wireless and if directly connecting to a router is impossible then you could go down this route.

Thats about all i can think of really, but im fairly confident you dont have a problem with your computer as you seem to be getting the problem on a laptop too.