Network Card! (quick replies please!)

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
So, I'm about to buy my new computer - Never mind the specs - and just before I buy it, I would like to know if the £19 PCI-E network card is okay for online gaming. About half my time gaming will be online. It'l be a wireless connection. Are there any others I should get considering I'l be online a lot? (my PC will be able to play any game so lag isn't an issue)

Can the ping change when you get a new computer? My ping now is about 80ms - I get 5mbps download speed - and 0.3mbps upload speed. On my fathers PC (wired connection) he get's 55-60ms - 6mbps and 0.4mbps. Will my speed get closer to his with a new computer? (my comp' atm is about 10 years old)

Thanks in advance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
the ping will change slightly for the better, but very little, ping is the time taken from the servers to your computer/console/whatever, there is not much you can do about improving this, and wired connection is faster, a new powerful router is always a good idea that transmits faster although this will only cut down the time a bit because its mainly server -> router

also your speeds are very slow, less than 1mb/s (1mb/s = 8mbps) and your ping is above 75, which is the recommended maximum for a decent experience, mine is about 30/40ms, which constantly changes depending on time of day, and i still get lag when im the only one on the internet

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
So my internet speed is bad? Because I always thought it was good! Our download speed is superfast! Is 6mbps slow? Because it's faster than all my mates download speeds! My upload speed is bad.. but if I get below 70ms, will my online experience still be enjoyable?

Thanks for the reply.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it depends where you live, i get 20mbps and that is only stopped by my package, you may think 6 is good, but its 2 different measurements, your file sizes will be measured in kiloBYTES, and your internet speed is in kiloBITS, they use this because it fools a lot of people into thinking they get 6megabytes when they are getting an 8th of that, shocking i know but thats just what they do. you only get about 750Kb/s and then its obviously slower depending on your packet success rate (how much gets delivered to your PC correctly)

what area are you in, some areas have much higher speeds, i am in a good spot, we get the same overall speeds as London but there are not as many people, giving us more

did you use speedtest.net to get your internet speeds?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
6mb/s DL? bad? get out Wozza, seriously. No it isnt awesome, but i'd take that as would many in less well served areas :)

Flucky

the ping will change slightly for the better, but very little, ping is the time taken from the servers to your computer/console/whatever, there is not much you can do about improving this, and wired connection is faster, a new powerful router is always a good idea that transmits faster although this will only cut down the time a bit because its mainly server -> router

also your speeds are very slow, less than 1mb/s (1mb/s = 8mbps) and your ping is above 75, which is the recommended maximum for a decent experience, mine is about 30/40ms, which constantly changes depending on time of day, and i still get lag when im the only one on the internet

I thought the p just stood for "per" i.e. "/"? What am I missing out on here?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its two different measurements, its like inches and cm, one is worth more and will be used more, but cm will be used to catch people out with a bigger number, although it doesnt really work because people are more familiar with basic measurements

any this is how it goes
MB/s = Megabytes/second, megabytes is what will be used on your files etc and one is worth 8 megabits, the MB must be written in caps
mbps = Megabits per second, this will be used when finding out your internet speed and very rarely anything else, i think windows is capable of showing files as bits but dont know how, this must be written in non caps so they are not mixed up