Networking question - superhub + d link + port forwarding

slane

Bronze Level Poster
First off, not sure if this is right place...

I have looked around but I can't find a clear answer. I have upgraded to 60mb with Virgin and will receive a superhub on Wednesday. I will set the superhub to modem only (I know how to do this) and connect the d'link (i kind of know how to do this).

My question is: how do I forward ports? Do I forward them on the S/H or Dlink or both?

Also I want to have the D'link in my room, the Superhub will be in my housemates room but he won't want me to keep going in there. The house is CAT5 ethernet networked. I want to: ethernet cable from S/H to network socket, to my room, eth to D'link, and then eth to PC. Will this reduce speeds and increase ping?

Thanks for your help :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
There are four outputs on the SuperHub for ethernet cables, and if the house has network ports I'd just run one from the SuperHub to a port, then from the port to your PC. I wouldn't bother with the DLink. If you're after wireless access yourself on other devices the SuperHub should be more than good enough to provide it if you don't set it to modem only, we have wireless all over our house from the SuperHub.

slane

Bronze Level Poster

But I will install dd wrt firmware onto the Dlink so i can have extra features at hand, mainly QoS, and I also want to learn a bit about the tech, it will be fun!!

Do you think I will experience a drop in speed and ping by going from S/H to network, then to Dlink, then to PC.

I just thought actually.. There will be no extra connections => S/H > net > dlink > pc compared to S/H > Dlink > Net > PC. No difference, just different order right?