Never used UBUNTU before!

Robert4

Hi,

Just ordered new PC:

COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
AMD FX-6200 Six Core CPU (3.80GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3+)
ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3 (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 3Gb/s)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

I am planning to install UBUNTU as the Operating Software.

Any suggestions or comments?

danmid

You should find it pretty straightforward... my personal preference is Linux Mint. Mint is based on Ubuntu, but has a slicker interface... but it's a matter of personal preference. There are a number of other reasons why I think Mint is better, but as I say... really depends on personal taste.

All the best,

Dan

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
It's easy!

Hi,

Just ordered new PC:
I am planning to install UBUNTU as the Operating Software.
Any suggestions or comments?

Try Ubuntu for at least a week. Same with any distro you try. It takes a while to get used to it. Personally I love Ubuntu and you'll find the help forums just fantastic! You'll get some pretty good answers here too. All the best with your new system.

Ubuntu is Not the one for me as I found a better one PCLinuxOS (= pc, Linux, os ) as you say it's what you try and like.

I have PCLinuxOS on our main house hold computers and all my test machines (10 of them !) and my daughters Laptops for uni and a striped down version for a backup server I built.

mishra

Rising Star
Hmm but is PCLinuxOS RPM based, rather than DEB?

I'm not familiar with this distribution... only know it's some sort rolling release that updates everyday to it's latest version. Nothing wrong in that, but it is easier to live with DEB based packages... As there are more of them available. RPMs died for me with RedHat.

I could be totally wrong with that, but to start anyone's adventures with Linux I would recommend Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Debian, etc... Especially Ubuntu, as it is so easy to use nowadays... and the knowledge base is there about pretty much anything. Just pop question into Google and add "ubuntu" keyword and it is just there.

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
Hmm but is PCLinuxOS RPM based, rather than DEB
I believe so, though I think it uses apt-rpm so may give a Debian-like package-management experience. It's a Mandriva fork, I think, and seems to be growing in popularity. I wasn't wild about Mandr(ake/iva) myself so it doesn't exactly call out to me.

I do think Linux Mint is stunning. Ubuntu itself comes down to whether you like Unity.

But the beauty of Linux is that you can try all these distros for free and pick your poison.