New 4790k - no boot or bios

Spuff

Expert
I've just tried to install an i7 4790k SR219. Everything was in place but when I turn the PC there is no beep, no bios, nothing. The cooler and rear fan were on but not the front fan. Status code 00.
I've put my previous i5 back in and everything is working fine, so I can be sure there is nothing loose or disconnected. My BIOS is the latest BIOS for my Maximus VI hero.
Help!

Spuff

Expert
My conclusion is that is dead. With it in no reset button does anything, and without BIOS active I can't start a rescue/repair USB. It's been in and out twice now.
It will be going back to the vendor.
With my i5 in everything works fine.

On the plus side I have a new Noctua cooler. With the supplied paste the fact that I had to remove the CPU showed my that with just one bit of the paste in the middle it spread to 100% coverage of the CPU heat sink, with no overspill.
Although I now I have the skill to do a self build, I won't, because if a problem occurred like this it would be impossible to know if it was the CPU or motherboard at fault, or maybe something else.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My conclusion is that is dead. With it in no reset button does anything, and without BIOS active I can't start a rescue/repair USB. It's been in and out twice now.
It will be going back to the vendor.
With my i5 in everything works fine.

On the plus side I have a new Noctua cooler. With the supplied paste the fact that I had to remove the CPU showed my that with just one bit of the paste in the middle it spread to 100% coverage of the CPU heat sink, with no overspill.
Although I now I have the skill to do a self build, I won't, because if a problem occurred like this it would be impossible to know if it was the CPU or motherboard at fault, or maybe something else.

It does sound like a dead cpu out of the box. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't boot so long as the clasp was down fully, mounting plate on correctly etc, but I'm assuming that all went fine.

Did you reset the cmos after installing the new chip? That may have had an effect.

Spuff

Expert
It does sound like a dead cpu out of the box. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't boot so long as the clasp was down fully, mounting plate on correctly etc, but I'm assuming that all went fine.

Did you reset the cmos after installing the new chip? That may have had an effect.

I did the jumper clear RTC RAM thing but as I find out now the manual says to take the battery out if that didn't work, and I didn't try taking the battery out. The i7 was installed correctly, and as I said I've gone through i7 in, i5 back in twice, with the i5 working both times.
When i put the i5 back in on first boot the BIOS said it had found a new CPU, so I think if the i7 was working the PC would have seen it.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did the jumper clear RTC RAM thing but as I find out now the manual says to take the battery out if that didn't work, and I didn't try taking the battery out. The i7 was installed correctly, and as I said I've gone through i7 in, i5 back in twice, with the i5 working both times.
When i put the i5 back in on first boot the BIOS said it had found a new CPU, so I think if the i7 was working the PC would have seen it.

Ah, that's what I was wondering, weather it was picking up the new cpu or not, sounds like it was.

Shame, I'd return it if you can. Get a replacement.