New ATX 10 Pin power plug for PSU's and Motherboards

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
This might have been discussed already - but just interested to see everyones take on this? The standard 24 pin ATX power connector was to be replaced with a new ATX12V0 connector which has only 10 pins. The idea seems to be to have just a single power supply from the PSU and to allow the motherboard perform all the DC to DC conversions itself which would improve efficiency.

Naturally, the PSU and Motherboard manufacturers are not happy - the PSU gang I expect would scream the loudest as the DIY market would struggle to continue supporting high end PSU's with fancy power conversion components - such as are required for high quality low ripple DC-DC conversion - as that function would no longer be required at the PSU end.

Despite the new standard officially launching last year I believe, it has been failry quiet - but Intel now seem to pushing for the new standard to be adopted. I wonder if AMD have made any decision on it for their AM5 platform?

Intel pushes for ATX12VO

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just thinking about this some more - it strikes me as a bit like the Apple scenario - where you invest in tech to keep you going through the years - only for a standard to change which renders everything you have useless.

If you have a big PSU which you have bought for future-proofing, then you might find future Motherboards don't accept your connectors anymore. You can buy 24 pin to 10 pin adapters I believe, but the problem then is going to be that most or even all of your entire systems power supply would be through one single cable output on your PSU - with the other outputs remaining unused as the new standard would see all peripherals powered through the mobo also. Will current standard PSU's be able to handle that change of use?

If you want to future proof then perhaps it's even more reason to buy more way more wattage in your PSU than you'll need to ensure you keep lots of headroom?

As always, while I can't complain about efficiency improvements, it feels like only the consumer will lose out in all this. :cry: Changing standards will always make someone money, but it will never be the people that actually use it!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This might have been discussed already - but just interested to see everyones take on this? The standard 24 pin ATX power connector was to be replaced with a new ATX12V0 connector which has only 10 pins. The idea seems to be to have just a single power supply from the PSU and to allow the motherboard perform all the DC to DC conversions itself which would improve efficiency.

Naturally, the PSU and Motherboard manufacturers are not happy - the PSU gang I expect would scream the loudest as the DIY market would struggle to continue supporting high end PSU's with fancy power conversion components - such as are required for high quality low ripple DC-DC conversion - as that function would no longer be required at the PSU end.

Despite the new standard officially launching last year I believe, it has been failry quiet - but Intel now seem to pushing for the new standard to be adopted. I wonder if AMD have made any decision on it for their AM5 platform?

Intel pushes for ATX12VO
Ah, yes, I remember hearing about this but had heard nothing since.

On the face of it, it’s definitely a step forward, even if just to reduce the enormous space that damn 24pin connector takes up on the board and the horrible cable supplying it.

It is a BIG change though of something that has been standard since ATX was a thing back in 2005, so can understand why the market is hesitant.

Intel, despite how much I despise them, do contribute quite heavily to standards, I have no doubt it will be adopted sooner rather than later.

As to weather AMD would adopt it on 600 series? My guess would be not. If they’re moving to a whole new socket, making people have to upgrade their PSU at the same time would be a double whammy, but then again, there’s never a good time to do something like this.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
As to weather AMD would adopt it on 600 series? My guess would be not. If they’re moving to a whole new socket, making people have to upgrade their PSU at the same time would be a double whammy,
Yes that's very true. No sign of it in any leaked info yet at least.

but then again, there’s never a good time to do something like this.
100% correct I expect! Change always hurts - even when it's for the better.....