New build check please.

Altissimus

Hey,

My computer is 4 years old so I think it needs a refresh. This is what I'm looking at.

Any cock-ups/improvements/suggestions?

A couple of points:

1) This rig only needs 443W and therefore could take a 450W PSU, but I wasn't sure of the quality of the stock 450W PSU offered. Is it any good?
2) 443W seems light...why so little?
3) I have no idea about the case. What's a good case these days for ~£80-100?
4) On a separate but related note, is nVidia 3D Vision any good? (I'm currently playing Elite:Dangerous, Smite, Far Cry 4, Borderlands Pre-sequel...)

Thanks all!

A.

Case
COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-PRO GAMER: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)
24GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (3 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (£69)
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,456.00 including VAT and delivery.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
1) and 2) 450w will limit any future upgrade and the configurator is very accurate in calculating power requirements
3) I would suggest coolermaster 690 for a single gpu and the storm trooper if you are planning to sli
4) do you have a 3d monitor that supports nvidia 3d vision? It is great for movies and games
Is it just for gaming? 24gb seems a lot and if just for gaming unnecessary . Are you planning to SLI or overclock your cpu?

Altissimus

4) No. Thinking about possibly getting one if it's recommended.

No plans for SLI. Poor experience in the past (admittedly 5 years ago) and it seems an expensive way to achieve performance that can often be adequate with a single decent card. No plans to overclock. Does more memory not benefit gaming rigs, then? How much RAM would you suggest?

Altissimus

3) I would suggest coolermaster 690 for a single gpu and the storm trooper if you are planning to sli?

The 690 doesn't support the 52-in-1 internal card reader, and the Storm Trooper is £119 which is a lot of money for a case for this rig imo....any other choices?

The Storm Enforcer I originally chose - you don't rate it?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The 690 doesn't support the 52-in-1 internal card reader, and the Storm Trooper is £119 which is a lot of money for a case for this rig imo....any other choices?

The Storm Enforcer I originally chose - you don't rate it?

I think that depends on you since you know what your requirements are. I personally will go with the same budget you indicated for the case +£80

Altissimus

I think that depends on you since you know what your requirements are. I personally will go with the same budget you indicated for the case +£80

Wait, what? The case you recommended was £119...which wasn't my budget....I'm confused?!

Did I get the price on that wrong?

Altissimus

Sorry I meant the coolermaster for £79? £80 to £100

Yeah...I believe that one doesn't support the 52-in-1 reader, more's the pity.

Not sure how much diff the case makes, to be honest. Might just look at one of the other ones.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you are planning to add a 2nd gpu I would go with a full tower case with better cooling and forgot to suggest silver warranty for £5

Altissimus

If you are planning to add a 2nd gpu I would go with a full tower case with better cooling and forgot to suggest silver warranty for £5

No plans for SLI. Poor experience in the past (admittedly 5 years ago) and it seems an expensive way to achieve performance that can often be adequate with a single decent card.

Keynes, I appreciate your input but you don't appear to actually be reading what I say. So don't worry about it, I'll go check out the cases myself and try and find some objective reviews on the interwebnet.

Thanks anyway.