New build for 1st time buyer

Davidel

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

Over the next couple of months (probably march) i'm looking to upgrade the old steam driven machine that i have to an all new singing and dancing machine that fits into my budget.

1st attempt

Case COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8H67-M LX SI: MICRO ATX MAINBOARD, LG 1155, SATA 6.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

This comes in at £958, so theres a little wriggle room. I have approx 1k to spent (can be upped if something outstanding is suggested) and I'm primarily looking for a gaming machine.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Davidel

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you,

That comes out at £996, so still under budget.

So no heating issue then now that i've changed it to the standard cooling?

Rakk

The Awesome
Remember that by March youll probably be able to get better components for the same price given the prices of components do drop quickly-ish.

Also make sure you pick up the silver warranty for a fiver if you were only considering the standard.

willh

just picking up info on other specs I have read on the forums, the 8GB of RAM @ 1600mhz maybe overkill esp if you will not be OCing, 4GB @ 1300 should be more than enough for nearly all games you can throw at it.

Davidel

Bronze Level Poster
Remember that by March youll probably be able to get better components for the same price given the prices of components do drop quickly-ish.

Hopefully so.

just picking up info on other specs I have read on the forums, the 8GB of RAM @ 1600mhz maybe overkill esp if you will not be OCing, 4GB @ 1300 should be more than enough for nearly all games you can throw at it.

Ah ok, thanks for that, that may free up some cash then as well.

Thanks all for the advise, much appreciated.

russellg

My 5c ....

Take a i5-2500 instead and save £80, it's almost as good as the 2600 for gaming.

Use the £80 to either improve the GPU or put it towards a next gen SSD , due in the next few weeks.

CaseSensitive

Two queries if I may that I have and that may also interest the OP....

1. Is the stock CPU cooler as quiet as the triple copper heatpipe one.

2. Next gen SSD ? Is this something that should delay the OP and myself from ordering now ?

Thanks CS

Last edited:

Freeley

Two queries if I may that I have and that may also interest the OP....

1. Is the stock CPU cooler as quiet as the triple copper heatpipe one.

2. Next gen SSD ? Is this something that should delay the OP and myself from ordering now ?

Thanks CS

Hi CS - from what i could gather the stock cooler is a little noisier than the triple but not excessively so, i put the triple in my spec but i've got the feeling it was a little unnecessary.
I'm intending to get a gen3 SSD but didn't want to wait so have ordered the pc and will buy the SSD next month - with the intention of ghost imaging my HD onto it and bob's your uncle.

So stop stalling and get it ordered!